Problems with SoundBlaster Live! Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdirtyfoot

Hey...

Okay basically I have no idea exactly what the problem is.. it may be within Windows 98 on my computer, it may be within the drivers that my sound card came with. I have no idea.

When I go Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Device Manager Tab and I try to enable "Sound Blaster Live!" under "Sound, video and game controllers" my computer will not start. I do not receive any error messages... it will simply not start. So... I therefore cannot listen to any music (and it has been this way for about 4 months... PAINFUL to a musician...) and I would like to do this again. I am sure it is a software problem, not a hardware problem

Also, if no one can figure out the problem with this... my friend told me I can use the sound card on my motherboard if I've lost all hope but I don't know how to do this either...

Thank you for your help,
David Wilder

First of all :wave: :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave: :wave:
Check out this forum and introduce yourself to everyone.

One thing you might try is reseating your card. The PCI or ISA slot might be bad. Just take it out and put it back in the same spot, or a different one to test it out. If that doesn't work I'll have to think a little more for another solution.

Okay I tried that... then tried "Enabling" the "Sound Blaster Live!" thing in Control Panel... I got the BSOd (Blue Screen of Death) and this error message:

A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C16SA82B in VXD EMU10K1(01) + 0000B7FB. The current application will be terminated. After I got this and couldn't reboot in normal mode again, I rebooted in safe mode and disabled it and came back here... any other tips?

How do I completely remove the old drivers and where can I get updated ones? I checked creative's website and it wasn't much help.... they have updated drivers alright... from 1999! But anyways... how do I go about doing this?

Sound Problems

David,

You mentioned in your first post that your friend said you could use your sound on your motherboard. Have you recently bought the sound blaster live? did you disable the motherboards onboard sound prior to installing the sound blaster?

I would recommend removing the sound blaster - Remove all drivers and software installed during intial installation - Reinstall the sound card with the latest driver but use a different pci slot

Repeat above with all available pci slots

Took me 4 attemts to get my audigy working with my mother board - had to use slot 5 or 6.

Good Luck

Good call cogen! Thats what I was going to suggest and also park that card as far away from your video card and modem or nic.For some reason they dont get along.Hope you get it fixed, I LOVE my SBLP.Have'nt even thought about Audigy yet.

I did not just recently buy sound blaster live... I've had it for 5 years or so I think... or at least 3... anyways I've had it a while. I don't know why it stopped working but it did... how would I sidable the motherboards onboard sound...?

You can disable onboard sound in the BIOS. You should be able to find newer SBLive! drivers than '99. I looked on my other machine where I have an SBLive Platinum and the drivers are dated 3-18-02.

Bios Error Message

If that card is that old and just stopped working I would suspect that it died. The "EMU10K1" is that sound processor on the card at least I think. The live was the first sound card I bought when I first got into building my own systems. I placed the card to close to my then Riva TNT and the heat sink from the 3D card ruined my sound blaster.

You get into your BIOS by either hitting F2 or delete while the computer is posting. Should probably be under advanced chipset features or something along those lines. I would remove the sound blaster and re-enable your onboard sound. Good Luck

I agree, this will at least let you use the sound temporarily, until you find out if your sound card is truely dead or not. Maybe you can test it out in a friends PC as well, just to see if it is a problem with yours.

Can you please give me a step-by-step explanation of what to do? Thank you.

1. Turn off computer and unplug
2. Physically remove sound blaster
3. Boot computer hitting delete key every second or so to get into bios. If that does not work restart and do the same with F2 key
4.If you sucessfully make into the bios navigate through menus looking for onboard sound option.
5.Choose entry hit enter and choose enable
6.Save settings to bios and boot computer normally.
7.If onboard sound driver are installed then windows should not reconize the sound card and install it.

Originally posted by cogenmaster

4.If you sucessfully make into the bios navigate through menus looking for onboard sound option.

Since the sound is an onboard device, it should belisted under "Advance Chipset Settings" or any similar menu title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back