services.exe' terminates with error code 203

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a Dell Dimension 8300 with Windows XP Home service pack 2. About a week ago I started recieving this error message. "The system process 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe' terminated unexpectedly with status code 203". I used the -a shutdown command to cancel the shutdown, but am afterwards unable to use the internet or open the majority of applications. Most apps already running also freeze up. I can run the computer fine if I disconnect from the internet, but obviously I can't refrain from the internet forever. I've run a multitude of antivirus/antispyware etc and have removed every exploit I could find, but to no avail. I've found many threads of a similar vein, but none that address the "status code 203" I have eTrust EZ Armor Firewall installed for security. Also, around the time this error started, about 80% of the entries under the startup tab under msconfig dissapeared, all the disabled ones, and also a few of the enabled ones. I would appreciate any tips anyone could give, and can probably provide any other information such as software hardware config that would help to rectify the problem. From what I've gleaned from the research I've been doing, its not a virus/trojan and is most likely a registry problem.Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That does sound like a possible virus problem.

Download the Avert Stinger, make sure you have the latest updates and run it. See if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of tom_sci only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I'll do that, thanks. One more thing I remembered. I get a message that the task scheduler is not running on each system boot so any scheduled tasks were not executed.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Look for the Task Scheduler entry and double click on it. Set the startup type to automatic and click the start button. Click apply/ok

Close the services window.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of tom_sci only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I tried the above, but to no avail. Also, the task scheduler, is running and is set to automatic, but I still get the error message on startup. While I have not rectified the situation, I have found a way around it. If I disconnect the ethernet cord from my modem, then connect after I have booted the system, I do not get the error. That pretty much solves my problem although it is a bit inconvenient. I tried several times with and without the cable connected, and have verified this is directly connected to whether or not my comp crashes. I'm not sure if it is a trojan that for some reason was not found, or if a trojan may have corrupted one of my files causing the crashes. All I know is that whatever the problem is, it is somehow initiated during startup and does not have any effect afterwards. Luckily, this will allow me to refrain from reformatting which was going to be my next move. I hope this thread may be able to help any others with similar problems

I`d like to check your system for anything untoward.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back