SATA problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big problem. Windows XP pro got a blue screen suddenly. And now it can't boot. normal mode... safe mode, recover console,... anything. Also if I put the hard drive in another computer then that computer doesn't boot either.... and always the same blue screen with this error...

ERROR 0x00000024
NTFS.SYS

I have found a work round for this which involves using win 2000 bootdisk to disable ntfs, but it doesn't work because you can't run chkdsk on the SATA drive becuase it doesn't show up because first you have to install the SATA Raid drivers, but when i do this using the XP PRO boot disk it gets as far as examing the disk then crashes giving the same

ERROR 0x00000024
NTFS.SYS

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ok i think i have exhausted nearly all possibilities. I looked at the links above and neither of them help, i can get win 2000 recovery console to come up, but if i try to format or do chkdsk on the SATA hard drive then i get another blue screen saying

STOP: c0000139 entry point not found

Is there any way i can get windows 98 or dos to see the SATA hard drive so i can format it that way.

I am at the end of my tether, i'm close to just finding the bigest magnet in my house and sticking it on the hard drive.

PLEASE HELP

You can format your drive using your manufacturer's software, usually. But SATA is only supported by a few manufacturers right now.

Another option is to format the drive using your SATA controller's BIOS... Which may or may not be an option.

This error, from what I've seen, can happen to a physically heatlhy drive. The filesystem becomes corrupt and Windows XP/2000 cannot load the volume if it is formatted in NTFS.

I do not know why this happens, but perhaps it has something to do with how the drivers handle these drives under NTFS. With this in mind, maybe downloading newer drivers could stop the crashing.

I have:

MSI KT6Delta Motherboard
AMD XP 2700
512 mb PC3200 DDR ram
MSI Geforce FX5900
120 gig Seagate Baracudda 7200 SATA
Windows XP with SP1 update

I try to log into windows, but after the XP loading screen I get the BSOD for a split second and it restarts the computer. I've tried reinstalling but it doesn't work. I load the XP cd, add the SATA drivers with the disk, click Install XP, but it just keeps scanning and finds nothing. After awhile the BSOD comes up and restarts. The error is the same as yours I'm guessing, not sure. I am still running the memory test though, been going on for 3 hours and no errors yet. I just ran to the store and bought a new 512 pc3200, but haven't tried it yet, I'm still waiting for the test to finish. I'm hoping its just the memory, if not then maybe hard drive. If any of you find and answer please let me know. Thanks!

A partial solution

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and... I have not recovered the system yet but yes the files. How?

I downloaded a bootable linux utility (knoppix at www.knoppix.org. Version 3.8.1. At least with that you will be able to see your drives and copy files to an external drive.

If anyone finds a solution to replace the corrupted ntfs.sys in an NTFS partition I will be very thankful. Cheers.

Solution

I had this exact same problem and just solved it with absolutely no data loss. If you have a WIN2K CD, boot the computer with it. The WIN2K CD will still recognize the drive even though WINXP will not Press F6 to load the SATA drivers and then press R to enter the recovery console Type 'FIXBOOT' at the prompt. Hit Y to proceed and then exit to reboot. Your computer should boot normal and the MBR should be repaired. If you are still having problems then boot with the WIN2K CD again and once again enter the recovery console. This time type 'chkdsk /r' to repair any bad sectors on the disk. Hope this works for you as it did for me.

-AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back