AMD lowers prices on Phenom II X4 and X6 processors

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD has finally added the Phenom II X4 840, 975 Black Edition, and X6 1065T to its price list. The processors were first introduced in January and although they've appeared in various hardware reviews, none have been available at the retail level. The 3.2GHz X4 840 serves as AMD's entry-level quad-core Phenom II processor, except it's based on the Propus core found in Athlon II products. As such, it features 4x512K L2 cache, no L3 cache, a 95W TDP, and AMD has set a list price of $105, just above the 3GHz Althon II X4 640.

The Phenom II X4 975 BE has the usual trimmings of a quad-core Phenom II: 45nm Deneb cores, 4x512K L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache, 125W TDP. At 3.6GHz, the X4 975 BE is AMD's fastest quad-core processor, and being a Black Edition chip, it's prime for overclocking with an unlocked multiplier. The new addition is priced at $195, or about $15 more than the 3.5GHz Phenom II X4 970 BE. Meanwhile, the Thuban-based 2.9GHz Phenom II X6 1065T is now AMD's quickest sub-100W hexa-core processor, and it's listed for $185.

Model Cores Frequency Old Price New Price Change
Phenom II X4 840 4 3.2GHz N/A $105 N/A
Phenom II X4 955 BE 4 3.2GHz $145 $135 -6.9%
Phenom II X4 965 BE 4 3.4GHz $165 $155 -6.1%
Phenom II X4 970 BE 4 3.5GHz $185 $175 -5.4%
Phenom II X4 975 BE 4 3.6GHz N/A $195 N/A
Phenom II X6 1055T 6 2.8GHz $199 $175 -12.1%
Phenom II X6 1065T 6 2.9GHz N/A $185 N/A
Phenom II X6 1075T 6 3.0GHz $199 $195 -2%
Phenom II X6 1090T BE 6 3.2GHz $235 $205 -12.8%
Phenom II X6 110T BE 6 3.3GHz $265 $239 -9.8%

In addition to listing its latest arrivals, AMD has lowered prices on its existing Phenom II X4 and X6 processors -- though X2 models haven't been touched. The Phenom II X4 955 BE and 965 BE have been reduced by roughly 6% to their new $135 and $155 price points, while the X4 970 BE is $10 cheaper at $175. The X6 1055T and 1075T are now $175 and $195, both down from $199. Meanwhile, AMD's Black Edition hexa-core processors, the X6 1090T BE and 1100T BE, have been cut to $205 and $239, respectively.

Permalink to story.

It's not like they really had a choice. Bulldozer is official vaporware and sandy bridge is doing good despite the Sata issue.

With a 955 for $135, you could build a very potent system for cheap. It's just a shame that's one of the few redeeming qualities left to buy an AMD cpu.

Looks like it's for real, newegg is already reflecting the new prices ... in fact the X6 1090T is listed at $199.

DokKRokken said:
With a 955 for $135, you could build a very potent system for cheap. It's just a shame that's one of the few redeeming qualities left to buy an AMD cpu.

Agreed.... Running an AMD Phenom 965 at 4.1 now, I realise that its still nowhere close to even performing like my i5 760 on stock, let alone the OC to 4.2 Ghz.

I'm starting to lose a lot of confidence in AMD machines.

hamsteyr said:
DokKRokken said:

Agreed.... Running an AMD Phenom 965 at 4.1 now, I realise that its still nowhere close to even performing like my i5 760 on stock, let alone the OC to 4.2 Ghz.

Why did you go from an i5 to a phenom II?

Princeton said:
hamsteyr said:
DokKRokken said:

I'd assume, no, hope, the AMD is a second machine. :p

Princeton said:
hamsteyr said:
DokKRokken said:

Probably the other way around considering the 760 came out ~11 months after the 965.

Yep, it is the second machine. Consider as well that the 970 and it's newer counterparts don't even match up to the i5 760 on steroids.

Princeton said:
It's not like they really had a choice. Bulldozer is official vaporware and sandy bridge is doing good despite the Sata issue.

How so? 1155's have been pulled off the market... Don't see how you could think they are doing well. 700million dollar hit to revenue is not doing well, and they won't be back on the market until late february - early march from what I've read.

Princeton said:

Every 6 series chipset on the planet has been recalled and replacements are expected in 6 weeks. No motherboards are being sold, all laptops have been recalled. With no chipset, there is no device that the processor can work in. Please do explain how this equates "doing well"

Every 6 series chipset on the planet has been recalled and replacements are expected in 6 weeks. No motherboards are being sold, all laptops have been recalled. With no chipset, there is no device that the processor can work in. Please do explain how this equates "doing well"
Princeton probably means- and I stand to be corrected...

Number of AM3r2 boards sold = 0
Number of LGA1155 boards sold = something less than 8 million....but somewhat more than 0

Of the boards sold, I haven't heard of anyone desperate to RMA their board. Have you?, Have you heard of any LGA1155 boards going belly up because of the chipset fault ?
If had to guess, I'd say that most people would be quite happy to use their board until they receive notification of their B3 step RMA replacement, so "With no chipset, there is no device that the processor can work in" sounds rather alarmist in the extreme...but then, that was the intention wasn't it.

So while the situation is very far from ideal, I doubt it ranks full-blown disaster status...unless of course you're some mean spirited AMD-centric forum member who delights in seeing misfortune strike Intel and the people who use their products. If you're not sure if this actually occurs please let me know...I'm sure I could dredge up some examples for you to compare.

Conversely, Princeton may have been referring to the generally positive reviews (both from tech sites and users) garnered by the CPU and the platform...Such as this one today for instance, or maybe this one

Princeton said:

Can you please tell me where you read the reviews on the new bulldozer core. I would like to see the specs.

dividebyzero said:

Number of LGA1155 boards sold = something less than 8 million....but somewhat more than 0

Of the boards sold, I haven't heard of anyone desperate to RMA their board. Have you?, Have you heard of any LGA1155 boards going belly up because of the chipset fault ?
If had to guess, I'd say that most people would be quite happy to use their board until they receive notification of their B3 step RMA replacement, so "With no chipset, there is no device that the processor can work in" sounds rather alarmist in the extreme...but then, that was the intention wasn't it.

So while the situation is very far from ideal, I doubt it ranks full-blown disaster status...unless of course you're some mean spirited AMD-centric forum member who delights in seeing misfortune strike Intel and the people who use their products. If you're not sure if this actually occurs please let me know...I'm sure I could dredge up some examples for you to compare.

Conversely, Princeton may have been referring to the generally positive reviews (both from tech sites and users) garnered by the CPU and the platform...Such as this one today for instance, or maybe this one

Still, $700 million for a recall is worse than "less ideal."

And besides, Princeton isn't an Intel lover. He's just an AMD basher.

So who's really surprised to see him say bad stuff about AMD anyway? I'm used to it already.

sarcasm said:
dividebyzero said:

Still, $700 million for a recall is worse than "less ideal."

And besides, Princeton isn't an Intel lover. He's just an AMD basher.

So who's really surprised to see him say bad stuff about AMD anyway? I'm used to it already.

It's nice to know you only skimmed over DBZ's post. I'll reiterate what I meant and what he so kindly elaborated on.

Regardless of the recall most people aren't rushing to bring in their new mobo. Also could you tell me of the fantastic bulldozer sale numbers to compete with sandy bridge's? Oh wait, there aren't any.

It MAY cost intel $700 million. That number is inflated to say that if everyone who bought a sandy bridge system brought it back it would cost them that much. It won't cost them that much because lots of people aren't going to care. Anyone using multiple drives is going to use them with SATA 6 exclusively. And honestly after 3 years, you should be looking towards upgrading anyways.

So you really think they are not working on anything new that could battle on the top with new procs?

Its like when Fermi was announced every fanboy out there was saying since day 1 "wait until fermi arrives" it was actually funny =P

Ok... I'll take your side and compete between last gen intel procesors and bulldozer, since bulldozer is non-existant then you are really an AMD basher whats the point in repeating that? And over and over again...

Had now been updated that they won't be continuing to sell their boards.
Update:

Asus was kind enough to give us their official statement regarding the issue and, according to Asus, the previous statements are not true and all motherboards are officially being pulled from the market. Those that have already bought Asus' Sandy Bridge motherboards will get a replacement once those become available. You can find all the RMA info here.
Thankfully I finally have some RMA info for my own Asus P8P67 Pro board...

I love how instead of trying to disprove what I say all you guys can say is U R AMD BASHER! Do you guys just have lots of AMD shares? It's also a funny coincidence that most if not all the people saying that haven't reached 100 posts.

Seriusly.... you people are Comparing a NON EXINTEN CPU with a CPU whose COMPANION HAS A FAULTY LEG.?? for god sake stop doing pointless comparisons betwen Stuff that dont even Exist!!.

And dont act like its the end of the world for intel just because a bug, AMD always have them (Note That Im a AMD / ATI User), Toyota call all the 2009 and 2010 Models because of a "BUG" , and Still there (NOTE THAT CARS ARE lots more expensive that any luxury sistem.!

Please just read and behave, control your felling of love/hate for those companies.

This is a ridiculous arguement. I could say that AMD's current processors are doing well and Ivy Bridge is currently vaporware and make just as much sense.

As for the article, these price cuts are making AMD's current offer really intriguing for budget systems that pack quite a punch. Despite the consensus, AMD's 6 cores are pretty good and to have that power at these prices are damn good.

What's really funny here is that AM3+ boards have been mentioned in comparison to Sandy Bridge in the comments by Intel fans, in an article about AM3 processors being released. ;)

I am a bit surprised 'AMD fans' are happy that customers of Intel's offerings have to potentially return their products, or accept a potential performance loss and/or fault. Then again, plenty of Intel fans made fun of Phenom X4 users for the TLB bug, among other things. Karma, I guess, but still totally moronic. Real enthusiasts would actually feel bad for those who bought P67's because it's lousy being on the butt-end of something like this.

Back