Help with no boot

oldikes

model: emachines t6216.
So this is a strange problem, but google says its not uncommon.
So i turn on the computer, and the fans are very loud for a moment, and then they quiet. I am pretty sure this is normal through ALL computers.
No beep. No emachines logo screen, No hard drive boot, no video (either no signal or screen is completely black).
I got it to actually boot ONCE yesterday. By that i mean i got a startup logo and i got into the boot menu. Then being the ***** i was turned it off. :/
Today, i got it to beep once, wayyy after it was supposed to. I would, after that, press a button and have a kinda quiet, half beep, as if i was in a menu or something, yet no video. (the monitor and cable have both been tested and are working)
but most of the time, just no boot.
Since it booted once, it cant be a PSU problem, can it? anyway, i dont think im forgetting anything...thanks in advance!
oh yea, and it DOES power on, it just doesnt boot.
just in case, MB: MS-7207
AMD 2.0GHZ
512 MB ram
nvidia Geforce 6100 integrated graphics
40 GB iDE hard drive.

OK, this sounds like it could be a failing hard drive. Follow this guide to test it:

The Excelstor link has been off line for a while, if you have an Excelstor drive then use the diagnostics from Seagate.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

I dont understand why this was moved to the windows section. I have not used windows, I am not even worried about the hard drive.
I cant even GET to the bios. the computer just isnt POSTing.
thanks for the help though!

This section is also for "Restarting" problems which is what you have. What operating system are you running?

Remove your CMOS battery with the power off and check the voltage, (if below 2.5V replace it with a new one), leave the battery out for 20 minutes and then put it back in, try to boot again.

If you have more than one stick of RAM try starting it on just one stick, then try the other and also try with the sticks in different slots.

You could also try booting with the hard drive disconnected from the mobo, it should still reach post, if it doesn't there maybe a problem with your mobo or the Bios is corrupted.

i am running ubuntu. Well, actually, i havent been able to run it since i installed it.
ive already done that test with the ram, ill try the CMOS and hard drive things you listed. thanks!
If its not any of those, can i assume it is a PSU problem at all? ive been told that the capacitors may be fried...can i assume that this COULD be a possible problem?

Stab in the dark...

I have had a similar issue with Emachines I have fixed. Sometimes the problem is a blown capacitor or a row of blown Capacitors. I have included Pics.... Take a look at the Motherboard just to double check. Also check to see that all of the fans are plugged into the motherboard, those are VERY EASY to miss!

Pictures --> mycomputerlady.com/mobo-caps

The bad ones bubble up on the top of the capacitor!

Thanks,

My Computer Lady

PS... If it is the Caps... It is a $10 fix AT MOST! you can find the caps online, and solder them onto the board yourself if you feel comfortable. I've done it, and the motherboard worked GREAT afterwords.

If its not any of those, can i assume it is a PSU problem at all? ive been told that the capacitors may be fried...can i assume that this COULD be a possible problem?

Yes, it could be your PSU or fried capacitors, this is something you will have to check out yourself simply by having a good look at the mobo and testing all the supply rails with a volt meter.

OK. the capacitors look fine. the HD test proved it wasent the hard drive. I am trying to replace the CMOS battery. it jets out of the board.
I dont really know what to do, which side of the battery should face up? (it should be right, 3v, it says 2032). ive tried it a few times, turn it on, 2 beeps, then it turns off with a blue blinking light. i have to unplug it to shut it off. Tried putting the original battery back in, same result. Obviously something im doing wrong. please, please, help. what side goes face up, and is there a certain direction it should be rotated in?

The CMOS battery installs with the plus marking up or facing out. Motherboards with the CMOS battery jutting out are usually made of poor quality to begin with. In fact e Machines = poor quality. The motherboard is most likely bad

I agree, this is most likely to be a motherboard failure. If you have run the tests on your hard drive, checked the RAM and used a volt meter to check your PSU then there is only one other thing it could be, your CPU.

There is also a very slim chance that your Bios has been infected or is corrupt, flashing the Bios would put this right.

The only test I have for a CPU needs the PC to boot so you can't use it. The only possible way to test it is if you use another PC with the same socket.

DEAR GOODNESS, SORRY ABOUT THE OBNOXIOUS SIZE AND QUALITY
ok guys. Keep in mind that it didnt start beeping until i tryed changing the CMOS battery...Now it beeps twice then goes into this super, super, sleep mode with the front light slowly blinking. Is this the correct way?
1002612k.jpg

(you can see the plus sign Sticking outward)

Yes the CMOS battery is installed correctly. If you have a modem or any other PCI cards except maybe a video card, remove them and see what happens. I had a e machines once with a shorted PCI card. Other than that, I don't think your CPU is bad... CPU's hardly ever fail unless they burn up due to cheap, dried up or no thermal paste installed

One of those stupid PCI modems installed. Take it out, still beeps twice. Meh, lm leaving it out.
It has to be something i did when installing the CMOS battery. It didnt start beeping until i tryed changing it..does this mean anything inparticular? 2 beeps, then a wierd almost shutdown?

They point to a bios fault most likely... Bad motherboard. You can just look at an eMachines cross-eyed and they will fail

The only remaining suggestion I have is to flash the Bios, you never know your luck. After that, if it makes no difference, I think you can safely assume your mobo is dead.

All the instructions for flashing the Bios can be found by Googling and the Bios download will be on the eMachines site or the manufacturer's site for the motherboard.

OK...nope, still no boot. Just beeps twice then turns off. How can i flash the bios if it doesnt boot?
Unfortunatly, I dont have the manual, i picked this up at a garage sale, for free (they "couldnt get it working", it had no HD)

Would a DVD work? i only have blank DVD-Rs...\
so how would i get the CD to flash before the two beeps then shut off?

update: I am running AMIbios. I looked up the beep codes, and 2 is a memory error. I reseated the memory, switched them around, ETC. nothing makes a difference. If i press DEL right after the fans get quiet and right before it beeps, I believe it enters a utility of some sort, because the PC starts making more of a Click beep whenever you press a key.

In other news, the first time i did that, it beeped THREE times, which has the same diagnostic apparently.

Yes a DVD should be fine. If you cannot get it to flash because the PC shuts down then I would say this further confirms that the mobo has died.

As the beep code shows a memory error this could again be furhter confirmation of a problem on the mobo as it could be a fault in the circuitry that is connected to the RAM slots.

Flashing the bios might just finish off the computer, making it a "paper weight"... as it is right now

Back