Cruzer Micro 2gb showing as 16MB, but not formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty[hk]

My friend asked me to fix a Cruzer Micro 2GB, I don't know what he did with it, but now if I try to format with Windows or HP USB format utility, it shows up under SanDisk S3 UCL Mode 3.00 (16MB) (E:\) and only 16MB, and I can only format to FAT and NFTS. If I do try, the HP USB formatter stops with an error "Saying Device media is write-protected." after hanging at "Partitioning the device".
All other tools like the OCZ format utility, lexar, UMP too, all don't even see the drive.
I can't access the drive, windows asks me to format first, comes up with an error.
Shows up on Device Manager.
Thanks for the help.

Oh do you by any chance know why this happens? I'm kinda suspecting a bad format using windows format, my friend tends to format unnessecarily, but i don't know what exactly happens. Second is of course the sheer unreliability of Cruzers :\.

The number on mine says SDCZ6-2048RB if that helps.

Go to My Computer, Right click on the USB device ( generally drive E: ) select Properties>Tools>Error Checking run the check and fix all problems. Then try reformatting..

Quick update, the low level tool won't let me format, it says it doesn't support drives under 65535 sectors, probably because computers see it as a 16mb drive.
Fixing errors did not do anything, checked both boxes, the windows just dissapears after i click start and I still can't format.

Lets just be clear about all of this

It's 2 Gigabyte

Please throw in bin, and buy a $10 4Gig drive
Actually not sure on exactly the cheapest price ever. But I'm on to my 4th Flash Drive and it's a titanium 4Gig (actually I think it's 8Gig, I'll check later :D)
Anyway, these flash drives do fail. That particular one has had many failures recorded across the Net

'Tis why you don't record your entire life on a 2gig thumbdrive.

Sorry about the failure, I would recommend the PNY Attache 8GB Flashdrive that's very affordable and mine has been flawless since the date of purchase!

'Tis why you don't record your entire life on a 2gig thumbdrive.
I'm sure he didn't, I did mention he formats often, too often. I actually doubt he actually has any data to store.

Sorry about the failure, I would recommend the PNY Attache 8GB Flashdrive that's very affordable and mine has been flawless since the date of purchase!
He also has two cheep Kingston drives that are pretty messed up, and another drive from some sketchy manufacture that died, I resurrected that one though. I'm sorry, no racism intended, but i've been telling him to stop buying $1 drives made in China!

Oh well. Thanks for your help everyone.

SanDisk S3 UCL Mode 3.00 (16MB) (E:\)
Controller can't boot the firmware code, that's the "Safe Mode" for SanDisk.

Causes:
#1 memory chip is bad
#2 memory chip is loose
#3 firmware is corrupt
#4 AES-128bit key used to decrypt data on the NAND is invalid

#1 memory chip is bad
#2 memory chip is loose
#3 firmware is corrupt
#4 AES-128bit key used to decrypt data on the NAND is invalid
Ah thanks very much, now is there by any chance fixes I can try? After all, no harm in trying, the drive's data is probably toast, and perfectly replicable too.

I looked previously, and I can't seem to find firmware updates.

You could try applying moderate pressure to the memory chip, if its a bad solder joint that may temporarily fix the problem, if that works you can rework the NAND chip as a permanent fix.

If that doesn't work than I'm out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back