3200+ CPU Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCman

Hi,
Ok, as some of you may know I just upgraded last week to an A7N8X-E Deluxe and a AMD Althon XP 3200+ CPU, now I got everything up and running perfectly, however I now have a heating problem.

With the old setup of the A7N8X-X Mobo and the 2600+ CPU I had the CPU running at about 38C-39C Idle and while gaming about 48C-52C, however, now after installing the A7N8X-E Deluxe and the AMD Althon XP 3200+ CPU I'm running at 48C-50C Idle and 61C-64C Gaming, now I am using the same case and same fan setup, nothing has changed... (except I'm using the stock CPU fan/heatsink that came with the 3200+ and not the 2600+), all I did was replace the motherboard, cpu, ram and video card. Now I did buy the retail version of the 2600+ and the 3200+ and both are running the 'stock' AMD inculded fans/heatsinks.

Anyone have any sugestions?
Any CPU Coolers anyone likes in perticular?
Now I am a www.newegg.com fan so i would like to buy anything I could from them, but after looking on their site thy must have 150+ different cpu fan/heatsink combos... anyone have a good idea on whats ''best for the money''?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Bill :grinthumb

Thermaltake Volcano 10+ would be a great choice for you. I had a great experience with the Volcano 9, and I don't think you can go wrong with Tt heatsinks. If I ever get my Barton 2500+ machine set up that's probably what I'll use.

Maybe stick with the stock HSF and just get a couple more case fans, maybe you just dont have enough ventihlation in there..

snowman % Vehementi - Thanks, It looks like I will probably go for the Volcano 10+... Thanks.
Mictlantecuhtli - No, I didn't find it suprising that it would run hotter, I knew it would... but adding 20C was not what I had expected.
vassil3427 - I'm thinking of adding more fans as well... last night I took the side of the case off and to allow max airflow and the Idle dropped to 42C-44C. Right now I am running an 80mm standard intake, 80mm exhaust blower, 80mm standard fan exhaust, and the fan on the Power Supply. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone,
Bill

Since that's your case fan setup, it's your heatsink that's the limiting factor. Get a new heatsink if you want lower temps.

And to balance out the airflow in your case, currently you have 3 exhaust fans and just 1 intake, I would reccomend adding another intake fan in the front of your case or on the side blowing on your video card, depending on the fan configuration that your case supports.

Intake Fans

I took Vehementi's sugestion and started looking at different intake fans... my case (Ahanix Platinum XP) doens't support a second intake fan... but it will suport a 120mm fan in place of the current 80mm fan. The current fan is the one that came with the case a "Colorful CF-128025HS 80mm", I searched around and can't find much information on it.. but it doesn't really more alot of air.

I am considering replacing it with this : Antec Pro 120mm Double Ball Bearing Case fan
Any thougths/suggestions?

So so far it looks like I'll be ordering:
---Thermaltake "Volcano 10+" (to replace the current CPU Fan/Heatsink)
---Antec 120mm Double Ball Bearing Case fan (To replace the current 80mm front intake fan)
---Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks alot everyone you have all been a huge help!
Bill :grinthumb

Thermatake Volcanos are good coolers but they sound like jet engines...literally.
If you want something slightly quieter (and considerably cooler [looks wise here]) get yourself a Zalman CNPS 7000A - slightly more expensive than the thermaltake, slightly heavier - but it will cool better, look better and sound better. You cant go wrong. They are a bit tricky to install but its worth it - honestly :D.

Steg

hell that is about right for my average temps but i live in a warmer environment. is your room air conditioned?. what is your average temps for daytime?. still a little high though. 61c isnt bad i have had mine at about 80c for a while and it ran like a dream. you would probably get more satisfation out of a zalman cooler than a thermaltake because of its quiet operating niose. only thing is that they only fit on some boards. another option might be to get an aerocool fan or the best option i have seen for quiet but effective performance is the thermaltake silent boost. oh well thats my $0.02

I get about the same temps, and I have 2 fans at the front bottom, 2 at the top rear, and one blowing from the side right on the 3200+ heatsink. I use the retail heatsink and thermal pad. I consistently get 45 C or so idle and 61 C or so maxxed. The case stays around 23 C. It seems teh retail heatsink is inferior. I contacted AMD about it, and they said not to worry, as the max temp is 85C. Max of 60+ still seems too hot to me, though.

Holy moly! I see now that this thread is over a year old... sorry for the trolling. I seem to have forgotten what year it is. :angel:

Haha, ya I just got an email notification about a posting in this thread. Anyway, I have since upgraded again to a AMD 64 System (3400+ 1mb L2), but I did buy a ThermalTake Silent Boost when I still had the 3200+ 32-bit system. That helped tremendously! After I got the AMD 64 System I bought a Silent Boost for that as well. These heatsinks rock! My idle temps and max temps drop by almost 10 C.

Good luck!

engineer2001 said:
Holy moly! I see now that this thread is over a year old... sorry for the trolling. I seem to have forgotten what year it is. :angel:

ya you should check the dates before you post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back