Frontpage news (must be here due to [IMG] code rule, please don't move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
Frontpage news (must be here due to code rule, please don't move)[/b]

[URL=https://www.techspot.com/newspics/GFFX/Over_Front_Enormous.jpg][IMG]https://www.techspot.com/newspics/GFFX/Over_Front.jpg[/URL]
The Card seen from the front; Notice that the cooling system takes up two slots on your case!

The Card seen from above, notice the extra harddrive power connector (right-top). The other two cards which future this connector is ATI’s 9500 and 9700 series and also the old 3DFX Voodoo5.

The card’s underside; the memory is cooled by a big passive copper heatsink on this side, also notice the other piece of copper; this holds the cooling system on the other side in place…

The card installed in a computer.

The staff at Nvidia's booth, on the left side is Andrew Humber and on the right Adam Foat. I’d like to thank them for taking the time to have a chat with me and take these pictures…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Both I and Nordichardware interviewed Nvidia at the same time while at Comdex so while our interviews looks the same it is not a direct copy...
But credit goes to Nordichardware for asking most of these questions...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note, text which appear in purple have been modified today (Monday at 20:15 Greenwitch time)

[TS]: It’s been rumoured that only a few companies have been given exclusive licenses to present their own products based on the Geforce FX at launch. How do you confront these rumours?
[Nv]: This is of course only rumours. There are a few companies that we have worked closer with before the launch of the Geforce FX, though that exclusive licenses have been written is only rumours. Regarding the European launch of the card it’s mostly the large manufacturers we have worked with; Creative, PNY and Terratec.We of course have close contact with our other partners who are strong in other segments but as GeForce FX will be launched in retail first, this is where our primary focus will be.

[TS]: What will the price of the Geforce FX be at launch in Europe and can we expect to see the card at Swedish retailers?
[Nv]: The price will be around 600 Euros (around 640 Dollars). Since it’s only around 2% of the market that this card is aimed at it’s price is justified though it’s exclusivity.
The card will at launch only be available in very limited quantity and is aimed at the enthusiast market. At the end of February will the first cards be available in stores.

[TS]: There are also rumours that Nvidia has cards that are clocked higher than the 500/1000 Mhz that are specified for the Geforce FX. Will you change these specifications in the last minute or is there perhaps a future product on the horizon?
[Nv]: You should view the GeForce FX as a part of the NV3x family with the GeForce FX on top as the flagship model and other offsprings below it to satisfy the wants and needs of different segments. The clock speed of the FX will as announced earlier be 500/1000 MHz.
We will present a new product at Cebit 2003.

[TS]: We have seen products from for example Hercules build ATI cards with watercooling as standard, is Nvidia themselves trying to develop alternate cooling solutions?
[Nv]: Regarding the cooling that is completely up to the third part manufacturers, we only make recommendations.

[TS]: How does the production process work for the Geforce FX? We have heard rumours that only Nvidia themselves manufactures the complete cards and then sells them on to third party manufacturers.
[Nv]: We are currently not completely sure of how the production will look for the Geforce FX. The scenario you present is based on a not too dependable source.

[TS]: Will the output connectors on the Geforce FX be bound to the reference design (VGA, DVI and S-Vidoe out?)
[Nv]: The manufacturers have, just like before, complete opportunity to configure in and out connectors after their preferences. Something new is though that Nvidia on these cards has chosen to build in their own TV-out chip, which guarantees better image quality and configuration possibilities…

[TS]: Now that you have taken the step to .13 micron. (Which as we have heard delayed your product significantly). How do you believe ATI will do in this switch?
[Nv]: Well, now that TSMC has their production running at .13 micron we have of course helped them make some mistakes and learn by them, so ATI will probably have an easier switch than us. Though we believe it will take a significant amount of time for them to make the switch.

[TS]: Lastly we would like to know if the benchmark-results from Maximum PC are real?
[Nv]: Yes; they are real, however they are based on a board and drivers which are far from final and thus does not represent the performance of the final product.

[TS]: How much power does this computer require?
[Nv]: As you can see we use a 300w standard powersupply to run this computer with the Geforce FX, Pentium 4 3,06ghz CPU and 2GB of memory...

A big thanks to Andrew Humber and Adam Foat from Nvidia Europe for the interview!

Edit: Both I and Nordichardware interviewed Nvidia at the same time while at Comdex so while our interviews looks the same it is not a direct copy...
But credit goes to Nordichardware for asking most of these questions...

how cool, a video card with what looks like a trojan stretched over it for safegaming.:eek:

That card is so huge. It would actually hit my hard drive and cause severe problems if I wanted to take it out :dead:

If you have an AGP slot and not all your pci slots are filled probably. But how about your power supply? Would that be enough to handle it?

oh yea one more thing, does anyone have a link to those benchmarks from maximum pc?

Originally posted by Metal_Sonic53
I wonder if my Compaq can make that card fit

Check if your hard drive is in line with it. That card is so long, I would have to move my HDD if I had it in my current system. And if you have the PCI slot right below your AGP free, than yeah you can. Trouble is, you can get a whole Compaq system for what this card is retailing for :haha:

Currently Active Users: 940
Most users ever online was 1926 on 01-19-2003 at 05:32 PM

First time we get slashdotted from a forums page, not bad at all ;). Best of all is that the new server seems to be handling the traffic perfectly, even with those huge images being shown.

Welcome to all TS first timers.

I wouldn't say perfectly. The page really wouldn't load for some of us - it took alot of refreshing for a while, about an hour after the initial /. assault I tried it.

Looks like I was being far too optimistic, MySQL crashed on the server a few minutes after my post, we got posted by many sites not only Slashdot, massive traffic for a forums page.

Worst of all, the problem didn't have to do with server loads but log files eating up all the server space... anyway, good to be up and running again.

Yeah I tryed to come here around 10 (or maybe 11) o'clock this morning(Monday) and it said the SQL server had an error or something =/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back