win2k help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok my first question may be a very dumb one....but how do u get into DOS mode with win 2k pro? because i need to get into the true DOS mode for backup purposes, not just he command prompt. if u know how to make a boot disk thats fine with me, just give me some instructions. i know how to make a boot disk on all other windows OS...but on 2k i cant find any way. or if there's any other ways to get into DOS that im missing someone please just help me out.

second, in win2k when i open a few of the applications i have installed every time while its opening it says "preparing to install" and goes through a type of installation when it's already installed. after u cancel through all the installation parts the program works normally. anyone know what the problem could be?

thanks!

Windows 2k, like XP and NT4 do not support rebooting into dos mode. They run on the nt kernel and basically don't support dos mode. If you can't get it done from the command prompt you could try compatibility mode. Here is how to enable it on a 2k box.
Compatibility Mode

Insert your Windows 2000 CD. Open the Support folder on the CD.
Double click the APCOMPAT.EXE file. This will load the Application Compatibility utility.
In the Start the following program tab enter the location of the setup/executable file you wish to run, e.g. C:\Sin\Sin.exe.
Select the Operating System you need to use, e.g. Windows 98.
Click Ok to attempt to run the program.

Compatibility Mode

This is a function built into Windows® XP, and added to
Windows® 2000 as of service pack 2.

(To enable it on Windows® 2000, execute the command
''regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll''
from the Run prompt or a command console(without the quotes). You will need
Administrator priveledges to enable this. Service Pack 2 or higher must be
installed. This will add a tab to execution shortcuts called 'Compatibility'.
You may want to check first to see if compatibility mode is already available.
Do not do this in Windows® XP -- you already have it active by default.)

Insert your Windows 2000 CD. Open the Support folder on the CD.

Double click the APCOMPAT.EXE file. This will load the Application Compatibility utility.

In the Start the following program tab enter the location of the setup/executable file you wish to run, e.g. C:\Sin\Sin.exe.

Originally posted by alphnumeric

Attempt is the key here. That option doesn't always work and hardly ever works properly. It also will not give you DOS. To get DOS and not just command.com, you will need to run DOS from a disk.

minimising what win2k is running

This thread is of interest to me as I'm trying to use "loadlin", a utility that boots linux without restarting.

Problem is, it's win98 / dos only.

So, I need to figure out a way of getting the NT kernel to clear as much out as possible, hopefully to safe mode / compatibility or something as close to win98 as we can get.

First off all I need to figure out how to kill all those processes that otherwise give "access denied".

I don't see it being possible, since there is no DOS sitting under the NT Kernel. According to the page I found when I looked up loadlin, it says it runs from DOS, 2K/XP has no DOS.

yes, and replacing the NT kernel with a win95 / dos one while running isn't going to be easy ;)

... but worth a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back