Steve Jobs dies at age 56

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Apple cofounder and tech visionary Steve Jobs has passed away at the age of 56. The news has been confirmed by Apple itself and follows just over a month after Jobs stepped down as the company's CEO, due to ongoing health complications. Jobs revealed in 2004 that he had a rare form of pancreatic cancer and he underwent a liver transplant in April 2009. He was on medical leave for approximately eight months before his resignation.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come," Jobs wrote in a public letter at the time. He handed the reigns over to Apple veteran Tim Cook and although the move caused the company's stock to drop initially, it has performed well during Jobs' absence. It remains to be seen if that success will continue without his insight.

Jobs wasn't always hailed as Apple's iconic leader. In 1985, the company ousted its cofounder following a dip in sales that caused internal friction between Jobs and then CEO John Sculley. Jobs went on to launch a new computer company, NeXT Computer, and he purchased The Graphics Group (now called Pixar) from Lucasfilm in 1986. Despite being fired from his own company, Jobs later claimed that it was the best thing that could have happened to him.

After his lengthy hiatus, Jobs sold NeXT Computer to Apple in 1996 and rejoined Cupertino's ranks. He technically served as "interim" CEO until 2000 when his status as chief executive became official. Today, Jobs is regarded as Apple's savior, guiding the ailing company back to profitability with innovative mass-market products, not least of which were the iPod and iPhone. In May 2010, Apple surpassed Microsoft to become second most valuable US company.

Along with his vast contributions to Apple, Jobs became a board member and the largest shareholder of The Walt Disney Company in 2006 after selling Pixar animation studios. In March, he was featured on Forbes' list of the world's billionaires with a net worth of approximately $8.3 billion. He leaves behind Laurene Powell, his wife of 20 years, their three children and a fourth child from a previous relationship, as well as countless friends and followers.

Thank you Steve. Rest in peace.

Permalink to story.

Not unlike the iCloud jokes floating around facebook.

RIP Steve. Grew up in the age of mobile device innovation. You did a lot for my business.

It must have been extremely hard for Tim and Phil to give that presentation yesterday, knowing in the back of their minds where Steve Jobs was and what was likely to happen to him. R.I.P.

I wasn't a huge fan of Steve and his ways with Apple, but it's very sad to think about the family he has left behind.

Gotta respect a guy who had a possibly the biggest influence on technological trends for the last 5 years. I'm shocked that it happened so quickly, guess Apple wanted to keep focus on the new release of the iPhone 4S as oppose to his health, R.I.P

A genius in his own right. Too bad not every genius is beneficial to the world.

You know, I've been pleasantly surprised at the posts here, I expected a lot more disrespectful posts. Yours isn't even disrespectful so much, its more of just incorrect. Even if you hate him and hate Apple, his work and vision has influenced almost every interaction people have with their computers and smartphones. You don't think the computers most people use and the smartphones a lot of people use are beneficial to people?

A sad day indeed. The world has lost a visionary, a brilliant man whose work had a profound impact on various industries and many people's lives. Rest in peace Steve, you will be missed.

I've never been a fan of Apple, or their closed architecture design, but I have always had the utmost respect for Steve Jobs (even though I frequently made jokes about him). Steve, you were one of the most innovative and valuable leaders of our technology community, and your passing is going to hit the technology world very hard for many years to come. You were a brilliant mind, a wonderful philanthropist, and we wouldn't be where we are today without your hard work, and determination. Rest in peace. :(

SNGX1275 said:
You know, I've been pleasantly surprised at the posts here, I expected a lot more disrespectful posts
Really? Whilst most people (on this forum) don't like Apple and Steve Jobs, we still had respect for the guy, even when he was alive

Didn't Steve just step down from any real position of power with Apple? So in very short order, Steve step's down, then dies, damn! Talk about a terrible blow to the technology world, for Steve was a super innovator. I wonder what will happen with Apple and possibly any ideas that Steve had for the company and it's products before his passing. I can only hope that Apple currently has some very skilled and competent and very innovative running the show, for Steve's shoes will be very hard to fill.

R.I.P. Mr. Jobs

Back