8x agp cards doesnt work with my ASUS P4S333 motherboard.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi community, I´ve just found out bout this site and I think ur my last hope to get this to work.
Last friday I bought an Sapphire x800xt Platinum Edition Agp.
But when removing my old geforce 4ti 4200 64mb 4x agp and inserting ther new card there is no screen on my monitor.
I then try an friends fx 5600 8x agp and the same problems, and the sapphire card works fine on his computer.
This is the motherboard I got, the motherboard only supports 4x agp.
p4s333.jpg

http://usa.asus.com/inside/p4s333.htm
Are there any chance of getting my mobo to work with my new card?
I am buying an amd mobo and an amd 64 3500+ in marsch but I want to play some on the card now to.
here is drivers for my motherboard to http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4S333&Type=Latest

Right now I got this version on my bios.
Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4S333 ACPI BIOS Revision 1008 Beta 005, 2003-11-11
SM Bios version. 2.3

Really grateful for all help I can get.

Hi,

I am having the same exact problems with my motherboard (same kind) but I tried a PCI video card and the same exact problem still happens. Does anyone know what this might be, or "herO" did you ever figure out the problem with yours.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Kaveman

you'll need to upgrade to an 8x mobo fella, it's just as PreservedSwine and Navdeep say, you can use a 4x card on a 8x mobo but you can't run an 8x card on an 4x motherboard.

there a few things here one is the bandwith issue between the two cards the old AGP slot will not support the newer cards ... But I bet your friend has a 8x slot that is why it works...

P4s333

Actually, Ive been doing a lot of research on this... and the 2x, 4x, 8x thing is not always a factor.... you can use a 4x in an 8x machine, and you can use an 8x video card on a 4x mobo, because some cards are backwards compatible... you just run at 4x. The Sapphire x800 he's trying to get working only runs on an 8x AGP or a mobo which supports PCI Express. The ASUS website says this specific motherboard supports ANY video card with a 1.5v/3.3v voltage. Im trying to put an ATI Radeon 9600 on my dad's computer (with the same mobo), and the specifications on ATI's website says his old ATI Radeon 7500 supports 2x and 4x.... so I checked the Radeon 9600... it says the 9600 will work on 4x (@ 1.5v) and at 8x (@ 0.8v), or it should support Universal AGP 3.0 (8x, 4x), and the P4S333 should therefore support the 9600... HerO's problem is definately because his graphics card doesn't support 4x AGP. Now the vid card my dad is trying to upgrade is a different story, it supports 4x AGP ports. Its gotta be something in the BIOS, but they don't let you change much... Im gonna flash it to the newest BIOS tommorrow, plus try a few other tricks. He's probably running an old BIOS version, and that may fix his problem... He's sleeping right now, so I can't check... =P You can either wait for a response from me, after I figure this out in the next 24 hours, or buy an AGP 8x that supports 4x also...

Hope this helps,
AKVirgo

ABIT KD7/KT400 Mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3000+ specs, 1 Gig 333mhz DDR RAM, Gainward Ti4800 Vid Card w/128 Megs RAM, 40 Gig Internal 7200rpm HDD, WD 80 Gig External USB 2.0 HDD

GeForce 5600

BTW, the 5600 you mentioned is also 8x only.... why my dads 4x/8x only doesn't work? We shall soon see... =)

ABIT KD7/KT400 Mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3000+ specs, 1 Gig 333mhz DDR RAM, Gainward Ti4800 Vid Card w/128 Megs RAM, 40 Gig Internal 7200rpm HDD, WD 80 Gig External USB 2.0 HDD

akvirgo is on the right track- many AGP 8x cards WILL work in AGP 4x mainboards. It's normally just a case of voltage feed.

That X800, doesn't it have a molex connector on it for power? I haven't tried that model but I do know many of the newer ATI cards do have that connector. Are you sure it's hooked to an external power?

A few things to try

Well, we updated the BIOS to the newest firmware, and as we suspected, it didn't help a bit. Tonight we tried a couple of nicer power supplies to no avail. So we're going to give it two more shots before we give in and get him a new mobo. He's out looking for a Radeon 9800 or 9700... the 9800 has AGP 4x/8x support and also has a molex connecter on it for any power issues... I'm really hoping he gets the 9700 though, because besides having the molex connector on it, it also supports AGP 2x. I don't plan on running it at AGP 2x, but anything that seems to support 2x also doesn't seem to have a problem running on this mobo. Hope this helps, will post a reply once I know it works... and if it doesn't, this mobo is out the door. :haha:

AkVirgo

ABIT KD7/KT400 Mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3000+ specs, 1 Gig 333mhz DDR RAM, Gainward Ti4800 Vid Card w/128 Megs RAM, WD 40 Gig Internal 7200rpm HDD, WD 80 Gig External USB 2.0 HDD, Sony 40x/12x/48x CD-RW, Sony DVD-RW (Double Layer) DRU-720A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back