Is There Anyway To Set Up A Real Home Network With Linux & Windows????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really like to set up a home network between my linux box and my two windows boxes.

Ive tried Samba and since it doesnt work worth a damn I would really rather try something else.

So is there anything or do I just need to switch back to Windows?

So is there anything or do I just need to switch back to Windows?

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!! Linux is forever. Of course you can network Linux and Windows properly - you just need to know how, that's all.

Samba works just fine.

You can mount windows shares in Linux, and open Linux shares in Windows.

Its great.

You can also use telnet, ssh and vnc.

You are spoiled for choice!

Why don't you tell us how you tried to configure samba, and why you think it failed?

sorry if I sounded like an a**. Im loosing my mind here:

well to this point i have been using the samba configuration tool. Ive added users in different formats with different names, ive changed the server setting to all available....eg.user, server, share.etc...etc

ive opened various ports on the firewall that claim to use samba.......some claim its137-139 others claim its 2000-2015............

Ive added shared files to the nfs shared directory, ive read every friggin tutorial and help file that I could possibly find, ive been at this for a week! I dont have that kind of time to sit around and try to figure out what the friggin prob is!

Isnt there some site somewhere that has a real tutorial about real information on this thing that really works!!!!?????????//

I get the same thing every time. I can access my windows shares from fedora but I cant access my fedora shares from windwos. I keep getting "path cannot be found" or "you do not have access to this file" or a little login box that never accepts any of my passwords

I know how you feel
if your running xp
theres something in services you have to disable darn forgot what it,s called
(should have been at my shop when I added a router switch the sware'n never stopped.)
please somebody help me
I am running a mandrake 9 something on one of my machines
can't remember how I did that seemed like it went smooth ,but I am running W$K on all the others

Sample SAMBA conf

matthewa said:
I get the same thing every time. I can access my windows shares from fedora but I cant access my fedora shares from windwos. I keep getting "path cannot be found" or "you do not have access to this file" or a little login box that never accepts any of my passwords

here's a sample samba config

a sample IPtables config to allow access from the LAN

add windows users via smbpasswd (hint: use windows login/passwords)
and set -R "lmhosts,hosts"

add windows system names to /etc/samba/lmhosts

The Path issue needs a DNS with DCHP updates OR
just use the MAC address in the router to ensure your DHCP dedicates the
same addresss to each box (simple with Netgear router)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back