Dead CPU? MoBo? need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently started having some issues with my comp. I'll try to be as detailed as possible. There are a few small issues I will mention. I do not believe they are related to the big problem, but they very well could be. The big problem now is the computer won't boot up. It does not beep when started, but I can force it to and have it run for a few minutes. More on that later, first the recent history.

First about a month ago My liquid cooling system water pumps stopped pumping water. Before any damage was done my CPU shut itself off. The CPU is a Pentium 4 3.0c 800MHz FSB processor. Since I had liquid cooling installed I did not have a heatsink and fan so I left the computer off and took it to a local repair shop. The shop really does know what they're doing, and they're the best in town. Having said that, they took a less than reliable approach to fixing my problem. They had a heatsink in stock that would fit in my mobo, but not with the clips. So they Zip tied it in. They did a really good job of getting it tight and stuff and it worked great the whole time. Next problem:

I was playing Everquest 2. My comp locked up and rebooted, and it would do this everytime I tried to log in. I had no problems running anything else, even high graphics games such as Oblivion. I read that this was a problem with EQ2 and my video card, a geforce 6800gt 256Mb. After updating the game it worked fine for a few weeks. Then 3 days ago it started happening again. People still say it's an issue between the game and my vid card. It froze a few times one day and worked for a day with no problem.

For new years eve I went to visit family and left my computer running. I got home 10 hours later and my monitor said no signal. So I restarted the comp. Hard drives spun, all fans worked, power supply was running. And I'm pretty sure the vid card fans were running. No beep came. I turned it off and back on, still no beep. I hit the reset button and heard a beep. It booted up and gave me the error "CPU is unworkable or has been changed." I went into bios and made sure everything was set right for my cpu, it was, and the health showed good temp and fan speed. Exited bios, no beep and nothing happens. Thinking hey it worked once, I hit reset. Beep! Same error message but instead of going to bios I hit f1 to skip and start booting Windows. Gets to windows loading screen and shuts off. So close!

I get frustrated and go to sleep. Wake up today and think hey maybe it will work! I was wrong, I did the same thing as last night a time or 2 to no avail. So I open it back up and remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes. I put the CMOS battery back in and used the jumper to clear it as well. I boot it up and get a cmos error and skip it because it was because I removed the battery, and get the safe mode screen because Windows was improperly shut down. I went in to safe mode and played around for about 5 minutes. Made sure there were no programs trying to start with my comp that could be causing this. Deleted everything from registry that starts with windows that shouldn't be starting. Clicked shut down and restart and...no beep. At this point I just threw my keyboard and came here to techspot to hopefully find some advice.

My system: self built. P4 3.0c with HT and 800MHz FSB, Abit IC7-g motherboard, Nvidia geforce 6800gt 256MB vid card, sound blaster audigy 2 sound card, 1 gig pc-3200 ram, 2 hard drives, dvd burner, dvd rom drive. power supply is an antec, either 300 or 350 watt I believe, had it 3 years but with a mod on the PSU case to make it clear I don't have the sticker on it.

I know this can be a CPU, but it could also be a MoBo. I don't have money to just throw away, so I'm hoping to come up with a god answer before I make the choice of what to replace, or if I have to replace everything at once. The processor is not overclocked. It was at one point but the first mobo went bad and I had to replace it, and gave up on overclocking.

My mobo has a problem where you put the cpu in. if you pull the heatsink off the cpu will come out, the lock device does not work.

The heatsink was put on by the zip tie guy, but it is very tight and secure. It is not very hot to the touch, and temperatures show as being fine.

I just tried turning it on again and it still gives me the cpu is unworkable or has been changed. I hit f1 and it boots into windows with crappy image and says my video card cannot find enough free resources. So I uninstalled card and reinstalled and rebooted and still get same cpu message. However, it has let me reboot it and other than the message about CPU it actually goes to windows.

Anyone have any ideas? Is my computer just junk now or is there something that stands out and says "Hey fix me"? Any help is much appreciated!

It's possible your psu wasn't up to the job. 300 or 350 seems a little low for a power hungry graphics card.

Thanks. Is there any way I can find out how much it really is? It's been running this video card for over 2 years with no problems, and at some points I had a few more things in the system also. Thanks again

u do understand that PS do get weaker as they get older and 300 or 350 wat was small for that computer to start with.

That's why I asked if there was any way to tell what PS I have. Back when I build this comp 350 was big...but it wasn't built with a 6800GT in it, that came later. Also I don't know what PS I have. It could be 300, it could be 600, I said I don't remember which it is. But I'm gonna grab a new PS and toss it in. The comp now turns on, and gets into windows with no problems. Once it's there there's video problems described https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic66608.html. Thanks for letting me know they get weaker though, next time I buy one I'll think for the future instead of just right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back