Windows update and missing .msi files ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

brutalhoe

well after i got my virus and no 1 is trying to help me with my logs https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic96159.html , i tried to do the windows update and it doesn't work even after i go on page where i install active x softwaret it still doesn't work.if i go from start button its just opens a windows and thats it, blank white page,direct link doesn't work either.
some softwares i tried to delete, wont delete cuz they missing .msi file.
sfc/scannow stops half way through the scan and asking me to insert the right cd and only thing i can do is skip the files.i copied the I386 folder to c drive and edit the path in reg edit to c: and it still stops in the same spot asking for right cd even that i have genuine CD from the store.
oh yea and system restore is dead too.is that time for a format?

An .msi file is a database of all the files, settings, and configuration information for the associated application. When you install Office on your computer, the .msi file is saved in a hidden folder. Without this file, Windows Installer cannot update your configuration, install optional features, or apply software updates. Office cannot be installed, repaired, or updated if the .msi file is not found.

Why is the .msi file missing?
The most likely reason for Windows Installer to require the installation CD is because the saved version of the .msi file for Office has been inadvertently or deliberately deleted from your computer. It is also possible that the file is damaged or corrupted.

Occasionally, changing the drive letters associated with partitions on your hard disk can cause this problem to occur — such as changing drive C: to a different letter or moving the hard disk drive from one computer to another. Other possible causes are a damaged or corrupted hard disk or registry file.

What to do when prompted for a missing .msi file
If you are prompted for the location of a missing .msi file, you must provide the original installation CD used to install Office on your computer.

Make sure that you have inserted your Office installation CD into the CD drive of your computer.
If you installed Office from a network, browse to the network location from which you installed Office.

Click Retry.
In most cases, these steps should resolve the problem and Office can complete the installation and configuration of the needed component.

I don't have the installation CD

Without the installation CD — or for computers purchased from companies such as Dell, HP, Compaq, or Gateway — you need to provide a repair CD to reset the installation created for your computer by the manufacturer. For information on how to apply the repair or installation CDs, you might need to contact the support representatives of your computer supplier.

In many cases, the files that you need are compressed on the repair CD and must be run by using a special program provided by the computer manufacturer. In some cases, the computer manufacturers might have customized the .msi file or changed the file name.

In situations where you cannot obtain the installation CD, your options are the following:

Continue with the existing installation of Office without updating. This is not recommended. Your documents and computer might become compromised from security threats.
Remove the installation and reinstall Office by using another installation CD. Removing the previous installation may not be possible in severely damaged systems where the registry is corrupt.
Run a repair CD provided by the computer manufacturer. For information on how to apply the repair CD, you might have to contact the computer manufacturer or consult the documentation provided with the computer.
If you do not know which version of Office you have installed, the name of the .msi file requested indicates the Office version you have. A table that correlates .msi files to Office versions is provided later in this article.

Office 2003, Office XP, and Office 2000 provide the Detect and Repair command. You can find the Detect and Repair command on the Help menu of almost all Office programs. Using this command corrects identifiable problems such as missing files, corrupt files, registry omissions, or damaged registry entries. It replaces the .msi file if it was deleted, damaged, or is the wrong version. Using the Detect and Repair command usually requires you to provide the installation CD for the version of Office currently installed on your computer.

How to prevent similar problems in the future
To help avoid this problem in the future, use the following guidelines:

Do not delete hidden folders or files from any drives on your computer.
Do not move drives or change their disk identifier (for example, C: to D:).
Install all needed applications as Run from My Computer instead of using Install on Demand (available from custom installation within Setup).
Occasionally run the Windows Disk Defragment program to repair cross-linked files, recover lost clusters, and remap bad sectors on your hard disk. Any data present in a bad portion of the hard disk is usually lost and commonly associated with physical damage to the disk. This is most likely the result of high-vibration environments, such as the computer being struck, dropped, or kicked.
If you have Microsoft Windows XP as your operating system, consider using the System Restore option to restore your system to a previous configuration. Consult the Help and Support option of Windows XP for more information on System Restore.

Office 2003 .msi files
If you do not know which version of Office you have installed, the name of the .msi file requested indicates the Office version you have. The following tables tell which .msi files go with which Office versions.

File name Description
accessed.msi Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions
mui.msi Microsoft Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack (one for each language)
muiwiz.msi Microsoft Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack
owc11.msi Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components
prjmuicwz.msi Microsoft Office Project 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack Wizard
prjstde.msi Microsoft Office Project Standard 2003
pro11.msi Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
projproe.msi Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003
ptk.msi Microsoft Office 2003 Proofing Tools
sbe11.msi Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
vismuiwz.msi Microsoft Office Visio 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack Wizard
visprolmxi.msi Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003

Office XP .msi files
File name Description
dao.msi Microsoft Data Access Object (DAO)
lpk.msi Microsoft Office XP User Interface Pack (one for each language)
lpkwiz.msi Microsoft Office XP User Interface Pack Wizard
ork.msi Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit
pro.msi Microsoft Office XP Professional Edition
proplus.msi Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage Edition
ptk.msi Microsoft Office XP Proofing Tool Kit
pub.msi Microsoft Publisher 2002
sbe.msi Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition
std.msi Microsoft Office XP Standard
stdedut.msi Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers
owc10.msi Microsoft Office XP Web Components

Office 2000 .msi files
File name Description
data1.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition (all Office products)
data1.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition (similar to Premium but does not include Microsoft PhotoDraw)
data1.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition (includes Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook)
data1.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition (includes Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook)
data2.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Disc 2 (includes Small Business Tools and Publisher)
msowc.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Web Components
orkdata.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Resource Kit
proofkit.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Proofing Toolkit

Note In Office 2000, the file name data1.msi does not clearly identify which version of Office you have. In this case, you need to inventory the installation of Office programs on your computer by examining your Start menu entries or click Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel and scan through the list of entries to determine the version of Office that is installed.

hey thanks for explanation but i don't have problems with office but with my Nero7 and some other game.

brutalhoe said:
well i still wasn't able to get sfc/scan to run properly and windows update kinda works it still download updates in the tray icon but i cant download them from start button or Microsoft page.WM player wont even open and system restore just displays white blank page.

so far im really disappointed with help im waiting 3rd day to check my logs https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=558516#post558516

do you try backup?
learn more in help and support center of you pc that is a very good help
just search backup in help and support center
System Restore automatically tracks changes to your computer at all times and at specific intervals by creating restore points before changes occur. Restore points are stored states of your computer

i love like ppl give advise but don't really read the posts,SYSTEM RESTORE DON'T WORK. i need person with higher than advanced knowledge of the pc cuz i know about system restore myself if i could've fix it myself i wouldn't post here ,thanks for help thou

i did, it still asked me for nero.msi file during installation where it says removing something than i had a choice skip it or cancel so i skipped it, after i looked in add/remove progs i had two nero 7th i was able to uninstall 1 but still can delete the second 1 and it even got worse, now i got some left overs from nero runing on my pc like that stupid serch bar.

When you installed Nero 7 for a second time, it didn't remove the entre in Add/Remove programs; but both the 1st and 2nd listing of Nero 7 point to the same place.

Since you have installed a second version try removing the second version. It has everything need to remove both of them. It may remove the first version as well. Then re-install Nero 7.

sweet i just managed to find a nero removing tool and it actually worked so i don't have to worry about nero anymore.
now any got a clue how to fix system restore and windows update?

Try and reinstall Windows Update.

The link to this is here: It is a Microsoft Download:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43264

When you save it to your computer make a note of where you saved it then go to the command line
Start -> Run -> cmd (click ok)

At the command line enter cd then the directory (location) where you downloaded the file too then push <enter>

Then type "WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce" without the quotation marks or if you renamed the file enter the renamed file name then /wuforce" then push enter. Windows Update Agent will force itself to re-install.

Afterward you need to reboot the computer then go to Windows Update and Windows Update should work fine.

well taht didnt work

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN>c:

C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN>WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce
'WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external comm
and,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN>

and thats it,i was still able to run the install by itself but it didn't fix anything i still cant get any updates on the page and if i got from start button--->Windows Update the page don't even load.

damn why things are so complicated?

thats it no more help ?
i was able to get my update to work but i cant install the updates the fail to install every times i try

Despite more words on this that most posts, my advice now would be to cut your losses, format the drive and reinstall windows from scratch. If you have no backup, get new hard drive and run the new install on that: you will be able to extract your data files from the old hard drive unless you are very unlucky.

The error message you received says you typed in the command incorrectly or the file is not in that directory.

You need to make sure you are in the directory that the file is in or it will not work. Use the "cd" command to change to the directory you want to go too and use "dir" to list all the files in that directory. Where did you save the file too?

never mind i was able to run auto patcher XP and im installing updates from Wu with no problem,except that my log in/out screen where u type in pw and name looks like the one from windows 98,does any1 kknow hoe to make it look likr xp again?

Thats simple enough.

Under "Control Panel" go to "User Accounts" and click on "Change the way users log on or off" if their is a dialog box click "Cancel" then click on the check mark for "Use Welcome Screen" click apply options. Afterward the "Use Faster User Switching" will be available. If you want fast user switching you can enable that as well. If you selected that then click "Apply Options" and close out all the windows. I can't remember if logging off will apply the setting or not but a reboot will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back