Computer doesn't want to turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello --
I've got a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, it's about 4-5 years old. I'm not very tech savvy.

A weird thing started happening recently:

Whenever the computer shuts down (Standby, hibernate, or full shut down), either b/c I power it down or just b/c I close the lid, the computer refuses to turn on again.

When I press the power button, the fan starts up, the power light comes on, the caps lock light blinks 9 times and then it turns off again. Happens regardless whether the laptop is plugged in or on battery.

I have discovered that I can get the computer to start up by holding down the "play/pause" button bellow the touchpad and pressing a bunch of keys on the keyboard simultaneously. This causes the computer to turn on and opens a program called Dell Media Experience (which I've only used occassionally before). But this "solution" is not reliable and seems to be getting less and less effective(the first time, I just pressed the button, since then I've had no success unless I also hammer the keyboard a bit).

At this point, I'm afraid to let my laptop sleep or turn off for fear that it will never turn back on.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? PSU? Motherboard? Something easy to fix that a non-techie like myself is just unaware of?

Plz let me know ASAP.

hmm i think i've had a similar problem, where it randomly doesnt turn on. i think my problem was with power cable

srry for other message i thought it was ur pc :0
i have had that problem and im not sure why it happened i sugest making sure the battery pack is secure

Re: CCT

Thanks for the idea, CCT; and the helpful link.
Unfortunately, the LED error code I am getting during startup (blinking caps lock light) is not one of those listed on the Dell webpage. Any further ideas? Or is my best bet to bring it to a service location?

Well, frankly, I would simply do a complete re-install after the next succesful boot and I had transferred ALL important stuff elsewhere.

But, that's me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back