What do you think is the best Antivirus right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
good point: Some moderator (imo) needs to create a Sticky on this subject,
collect the inputs and order a list eg

• best of 2008
    • antivirus
      • name-1
      • name-2
    • firewalls
  • best of 2007
    • antivirus
    • firewalls

i know i'm gonna get nailed for saying this, but woohoo, go live one care! the best thing that has ever came out of redmond!

been using it for nearly a year and am damn pleased with it!

The BEST

Here is my 2 cents

I have been using AVG for 4 years and it works good but Techspot recommends Avira and Avast, in that order, so I tried Avira and a 'SAME DAY TEST' (scanned with AVG, then uninstalled AVG and installed Aviria, and then scanned PC with it. Avira found 1 trojan AVG did not, Aviria is also faster ( 1 hour vs. 3 hours with AVG - large system 3 HDs with total 9 partitions).

However, I know that AVG does a very good job on scanning emails both downloading and uploading. So far I have not seen Aviria scanning email. I also did not think that Aviria was very easy or helpful in setting up 'Custom' scanning profiles.

Techspot also recommends Comodo and ZoneAlarm. I have been using ZoneAlarm for 5 years and Comodo, on a laptop for 2 years. I like ZoneAlarm better, it is easier and has a better custom setup.

As far as AntiSpyware I use them ALL (almost). I have used CounterSPy (liked it very much but $$ not free, also WebRoot - not to impressed it). I was introduced to SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM (Malwarbytes) and like them very much. I also run Spybot S&D and AdAware when I am cleaning up things.

I did Norton's for 15 years but the last 5 years it choked my system so bad it would hardly run. That is when I started using all of these others. I have also tried F-Secure, Micro Trend, etc. I have come to the conclusion FREE works just as good and sometimes better - so I will never waste my $$$ again.

And thanks to TechSpot for all the tips and introducing us to 'Good' "Free" software.

As far as LiveCare, I have never tried IT and since it is Microsoft I "NEVER" will.

There is a present issue with Zone Alarm and Vista
Anyway, ZA always seems to have these big issues every now and then
I posted just above, what I recommend ;)

Please don't place a lot of stock in Avira. In the latest tests, it's getting hammered for it's exhorbitant number of false positives. Also bear in mind that the version that's tested by AV-Comparatives is the Premium version, not the free version. Avira free does NOT have Antispyware protection, which other competitors have. Grisoft (AVG), for instance, bought out Ewido and incorporated it into their free product.

As some of you may know, Ewido was the number one antispyware product for a long time.

These things do change all the time...

The most effective protection is a multi-faceted one..

The one I found most effective ALL AROUND is as follows:

AVG 8
Spyware Blaster
Malwarebytes
If you want any firewall it's Comodo. Zone Alarm is crap.
Tuned HOSTS file
Tune Restriced Zone.

Combofix on demand.

Ewido was excellent
But AVG8 is total crap (IMHO) It will corrupt under Virus infection just like Norton does

My experience (on the Free version) of Avira, it's the best :grinthumb

Eventually it may as it gains popularity. Regretfully it's pretty much inevitable unless they consistently rework their heuristics and engine (which fairly regularly they actually do). However, for now it offers far more comprehensive protection across a broader spectrum of attack vectors than the other free products out there, including Avira.

ehem. virus free for 10 months and counting - despite engaging in promiscuous online behaviour..... live once care anyone?

i agree with u :)

i know i'm gonna get nailed for saying this, but woohoo, go live one care! the best thing that has ever came out of redmond!

been using it for nearly a year and am damn pleased with it!

since i use one care ive got no problems at all , and i like the tune up realy works. i run it every 30 days.

AntiVirus: Avira

Malware: Malwarebytes

Firewall: Comodo

Cleaner: CCleaner

All free :)

Same as Kim, except for Comodo. I have turned in Zone Alarm for pctools firewall plus.I also use Spybot S&D as a preventative measure, by taking advantage of its large Immunization database.

I found that using these free programs gives me the same or even greater protection than any security suite. I get all the same benefits without the bulk or resource hogging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back