Missing icons and tool bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagleyst

My desktop icons and toolbar where start is are not showing up i run explorer.exe and it comes up for like 4 seconds then they are gone again can someone help me???

If you put the cursor to the bottom of the screen, do you see a verticle 2-ended arrow?

If so, click, hold, and drag up. Then right click the screen, click 'lock toolbar', and while there cursor over 'arrange icons' and click 'show icons'.

merge to registry???what is this

i right click and save link as to my computer and then just restart my computer then

i open it and it a text file

i didnt do that yet i restarted my computer and everthing shows up but i click on them and nothing works my closk is even stop

How can you merge the file

I can not see that option when i right click the file

the file is in my desktop
it open as a txt file
is that where that file need to be same to?

how can i have my explorer.exe stay on in task manager- processes?

Everytime i see explorer.exe in processes tap in task manager everything is working but once it gone, everything goes away

it comes up for like 4 seconds then they are gone again
Please try merging the file (right click on the actual file, without notepad open or anything)
In Safe Mode

Safe Mode can be accessed by pressing F8 before Windows starts (ie restart first)
Once in Safe Mode (when you log in - continue to Safe Mode when asked)

Then locate the "restoretaskbar.reg" file, probably on your Desktop somewhere
Right Click on it
Then left click on Merge

Please note: You may need to run explorer.exe in Safe Mode too

Edit

Other than that, download this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

i ran fix win xp logon it say the following
default gina in use.
dll in use:MSGINA.DLL (standard)

also i didnt find the reg file in my desktop in "save mode"i save it in my document and try to right click it and i did not find any thing that said "merge"

Try this.

1. Open a Command Prompt (you can do this by clicking Start->Run and typing in CMD then press enter)
2. enter the command assoc .reg=regfile
3. enter the command ftype regfile=regedit.exe "%1"
4. enter the command ftype regfile (should get back regfile=regedit.exe "%1" and association should be repaired)

5. Double click on your restoretaskbar.reg file and you should get the successful merge message box.

By the way, if you cannot get to command prompt, you can do the above in Safe Mode Command Prompt (from pressing F8 before Windows startup)

By the way, all of this is just the first test!

It did not work i did not get and merge option

do you think i have a virus???

i did the cmd in my regular mode

ok its come to this (I tend to get determined)

Locate the file named SHELL.INF (should be in your %windir%/inf directory). Once located right click on it and select INSTALL. This is not to be undertaken lightly as it resets ALL file extensions to their defaults and you would have to go back and reset associations if you have preferred apps associated with specific extensions.

Note: a quick way to find SHELL.INF, is by clicking on Start->Run-> %windir%/inf

Once Shell.inf is installed, then double click on your restoretaskbar.reg file again and you should get the successful merge message box.

i did it but i dont think it let me install it

am i going to see something after it get install

i need to open the file you mean

i guess i got a virus then it did not work

thanks for all your help!!!!

i guess i should complaint to trend micro antivirus and spy sweeper for not protecting me better

Yes I'd uninstall both if I were you
Avira (in the guide) with Malwarebytes (also in the above guide) is the best :grinthumb

Once Trend is un-installed, or if you have issues un-installing it, do this:

*Start->Run-> C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 12\TISSuprt.exe
The Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit window will appear. Click on the Uninstall tab
Click on the Un-install button
Click on the Un-install button again when asked if you want to continue with the un-installation
Restart your computer

* Note: If the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit window does not appear
Run: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 12\PCCTool.exe

Or read here for more info: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1036064&id=EN-1036064

can i just keep them and add the other software///

also if it it finds and thin weird just quaratine the file and remove them???

I use malwarebyte software and it look like it work the desktop icons been up for 5 mins so far!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO

Just Avira and that's that ! (remove the rest)

Yes remove\Delete\Quarantine whatever, any found Malware

Follow the guide precisely

By the way, because I'm positive you'll miss this part
When Malwarebytes finishes scanning, make sure to view the results and you remove all found issues
By the way, that's written in the guide too

Oh, and here's that guide again: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Good Luck

Edit:

I note you have now edited your last reply with "Thankyou"
Great news :)

why is only avira???

yes i click on the remove all option after it finish scanning

it look like it work

THANKS once again

Avira is presently the best Antivirus (I have to write "In My Opinion" ;) )

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

Any further Malware issue please create a new Thread in the Virus & Malware removal forum. Make sure to attach the logs on your first post there too.

All done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back