Planning to build an acrylic case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technochicken

I am planning to build an acrylic case for my computer. I attached a sketchup model of a design. Any design improvements? Is there anything I need to know about working with acrylic? Thanks for the input,
TC

Attachments

• acrylic case.zip
    43.1 KB · Views: 108
Hi Techno,
I just built an acrylic case build. I was concerned about static buildup, and heat ,as acrylic is about as conductive as peanut butter. neither has happened. as a matter of fact, this case is the coolest (temp) i have ever built. I have pics of it on TS gallery if your interested. and the static buildup just didnt happen either, even this winter.I would really be interested in seeing your design,but for some reason the zip file take me to the 'unknown file type' website. I would say the biggest thing is to make sure you have superior ventilation. I have 5 120mm fans and one 80mm on top blowing on my memory modules.

You need sketchup 7 to open the file. You probably have 6. The design has 2 140 mm fans as intake, 1 140 and 1 120 as exhaust.

Here's an earlier version of the file.

Attachments

• acrylic case s5.zip
    37.6 KB · Views: 73
By the way, red, could you point me to the case you have? It looks like a sunbeam, but I can't find any with 120mm fan bays like yours. they all seem to have 80mm bays.

here it is, they changed the name of it from AC-1, but this is it. it has 2-120mm on the left side 1-120mm in the back, and comes with another 120mm that takes up two of the removable bays in the front. it also has a 120mm interior adjustable 'core fan' and there is a 80mm hole on top as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166033 i put some pics of mine in the gallery if you want to see it assembled. i like the way you did the ramp over the power supply, that design should move some air.

Do you know how thick the acrylic is? It's probably 1/8 of an inch. When you buy acrylic, it seams to be priced by volume, not surface area, so it would cost twice as much to build out of 1/4 inch acrylic.

its 1/4" thick, you couldnt build this with 1/8", its to big.this stuff is actually very rigid

I haven't really decided yet. Watch out, because the one you linked to is BTX, not ATX, so the pins might be slightly different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back