30 seconds from right click to actually getting context menu up

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyver1

had my new workstations at work since monday, all win2k, been fine so far apps wise until this morning when office/norton and the right click menu just decided to take from anywhere from 30 seconds to around 2 minutes to load up/appear.

bizzare thing is its not affected EVERY machine on the domain ( 9 workstation altogether )

ive spent nearly all day googling/ searching sysmantec and Microsoft knowledge base and found nothing that has helped.

has anyone else had anything remotely similar??

im stumped :confused:

a recent thread on the Office/NAV problem may help with that. Just disable the Office plugin in NAV settings. Not sure about the right click problem, take a look at the task manager, see if anything is hogging resources.

yeah ive checked the processes, everything's normal,

symantecs ccApp.exe ALWAYS takes forever to shutdown on the machines with this problem to the point that the error window pops up on shutdown saying this program isnt responding , giving you the option to end it yourself or let windows do it.

cant understand how its only begun this morning, and the right click menu only lags on shortcuts and folders, right click works perfect on My computer/My network places, recylcle bin etc.

ive had a day from hell today :/

I have the exact same problem. Right clicking on a shortcut or folder causes a 10 to 20 second delay. Also ccApp.exe has trouble when shutting down. I'm going to uninstall Symantec. Is there any other fix?

some of the machines have the onboard intel gfx chip, 3 of the machines have a radeon 7000 series agp card in.

their all Fujitsu seimens Scenic's, pre-built crap :/

i disabled all the symantec startup stuff and services but it was still the same, so even tho it 'appears' to be soley a norton prob it doesnt look that simple.

I HATE COMPUTERS!! OFFICIAL

i come into work this morning, and ALL the machines are 100% fine :mad:

everything that was wrong with them yesterday is now gone.

bloody typical :/

came back this afternoon with a vengence.

weird thing is its user specific, i can take 1 workstation and login with 2 different users and 1 will suffer from it and the other wont.

very very wierd

For me the problem was simply Norton. As soon as I uninstalled it, the problem went away.

The interesting part is that I use Ghost images. I'd re-image the machine with an image that I know did not have the problem when I created the image. Within about 20 or 30 seconds of starting for the first time after loading the image, the problem would return. The tip off was that within that first 20 or 30 seconds, Norton would pop up saying it had updated itself. Right after the update was completed, I'd once again have the right click problem.

Start in safe mode, removed Norton before it updated, problem solved.

anybody managed to dig up any more info on this problem??

so far my machines have been fien the last few days, but im not holding my breath.

no offical word on this issue from symantec or M$ ??

Well, Symantec has posted a solution, allthough to a bit different problem, here...

I'd venture a guess saying this is what you're looking for, as it deals with slowdowns & such...

sounds to me like one of the options in the right click menu is causing the delay. i know that when i had a problem like this (it was the rightclick, then new-> menu, it was b/c of one of the items in the new-> menu.

Found a solution after following....

some of the responses above. When I looked in HKR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers I found an entry for "OpenWithEncryption" Or something like that. I removed it and the response went from about a 10 second delay to nothing.
Hope this helps someone in the future...

May you find the one and only true Peace..
In Him....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back