DigitalConsumer.org

Didou

Here's a very interesting site -> DigitalConsumer.org

Some of the measures Media companies are trying to get accepted by governments is just plain illegal !!!

In Europe, many law projects are in the verge of getting voted & every storage media will be taxed.

If they are voted, Hard drives might end up being 50$ more expensive. Worst thing is, the tax is calculated on the storage capacity which means, the more capacity, the bigger the tax. Let's say you buy a 40GB drive now for 110$ with a 50$ added for tax. A few years later, new 100GB drives appear & replace the 40GB on that price point, you get to add 100$ tax to it, making it 210$ rather then 160, & it'll keep going on like that ( prices are just an example ).

I'm amazed, they're not taxing Ram.

PS. I allready had a similar thread on the old forum -> This can't be right... (copy protected CD's so some of you know how I feel about such BS...

Originally posted by Didou
Here's a very interesting site -> DigitalConsumer.org

Some of the measures Media companies are trying to get accepted by governments is just plain illegal !!!

In Europe, many law projects are in the verge of getting voted & every storage media will be taxed.

If they are voted, Hard drives might end up being 50$ more expensive. Worst thing is, the tax is calculated on the storage capacity which means, the more capacity, the bigger the tax. Let's say you buy a 40GB drive now for 110$ with a 50$ added for tax. A few years later, new 100GB drives appear & replace the 40GB on that price point, you get to add 100$ tax to it, making it 210$ rather then 160, & it'll keep going on like that ( prices are just an example ).

Its the same thought as automobiles when it comes to taxing. The bigger the engine, the higher the tax..Personally I think its ridiculous. You want to have a gas guzzler tax for Dodge Vipers thats fine and a Luxury tax for Ferrari's, thats good as well. You wont have 14 y/o's buying those cars but you will have them buying hard drives with money they saved up. To set a per gigabyte tax means that the 1.2 GB harddrive will be making a serious comeback.

I'm amazed, they're not taxing Ram.

PS. I allready had a similar thread on the old forum -> This can't be right... (copy protected CD's so some of you know how I feel about such BS...

Another link -> SaveInternetRadio

The RIAA is fighting to vote a bill that will impose a tax on Internet Radios ( Normal radio is considered free publicity so no tax there :evil: ). It might make Internet radios have to pay up to 1000$ every day !!!

I listen to a Net radio -> Groove Salad & I would hate to see it disappear. I can't write to Congressmen in Washington so anyone who lives in America, please take a stand on this issue.:(

BTW Philips has also won its case. Labels that put out Protected CDs (tm) will no longer have the right to use the term Compact Disc. These discs won't play on PCs & some won't even play on a normal stereo...

It's Recording Industry Association of America, not the WORLD!
I won't just sit & watch what happens if they ban these things OUTSIDE America.
And this isn't just the only thing americans are trying to do in Internet..
Do they think they own it?

Another Punch for Copy Protection
By Declan McCullagh

Because the CBDTPA regulates "any hardware or software" that could be used to copy digital content, it would roil the PC and consumer electronics industries, as well as limit the distribution of source code that does not sport copy-protection standards to be devised by the Federal Communications Commission.

The Full article is here -> Another Punch for Copy Protection

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
It's Recording Industry Association of America, not the WORLD!
I won't just sit & watch what happens if they ban these things OUTSIDE America.
And this isn't just the only thing americans are trying to do in Internet..
Do they think they own it?

Well, we practically are the mother of the Internet and have nurtured it since it was a baby. Then we gave it the push for acceptance.. In a way, I can understand why it is so Americanized.

I don't agree with American "imperialism"; however, the Internet is only one example of such a thing, unfortunately.

I agree with the RIAA thing. I don't like them over here, let alone other places. Apparently their reach spans the globe, because I remember reading several instances in the eastern hemispere about them raiding college campuses for music "piracy".

Back