Lg dvd causing computer to restart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soap

a friend of mine was given an lg dvd drive by a friend and when they try to use the dvd it causes the computer to restart.

the things i know are it is a pentium 3 running windows xp. the dvd drive was used to replace a cdrom drive which was working fine and still does after replacing the cdrom with the dvd back to the was it was.

any ideas?
sorry i dont know more.

Which model LG DVD? And XP Home or Pro?

Did you check the proper master/slave setting on that DVD?
If on its own an a separate IDE-cable, set it to master and connect the DVD to the end of the IDE-cable.

Another possibility may lie in your video driver. Many cards support DVD hadware acceleration... And I've seen a variety of problems resuling from this. Of course, restarting might be a new one....

It is also possible that your system might not have enough power for an extra drive? Just a thought.

And I'm sure there are variety of software issues that could cause such a thing to happen.

And lastly, you dvd drive could always be defective. Perhaps you can look into getting it returned or repaired by the manufacturer.

And remember - when you can't find the answer - look to the "impossible". I have found that the impossible is more probable than no answer at all.

ive the same problem, in my case its a cd rewriter.

I dont know what to do :/
when i start to burn it goes ok for 1-2 minutes then pc reboots without warning.

ok my pc
amd athlon 1.33 ghz
40 gb hard disk (20 gb left)
3x 256 memory
geforce 5200 fx
VenusII 48x24x48 cd rewriter
windows xp home

no other programs running while burning, i have enough space to cache the stuff.

I have tried to set my cd writer to master and no other cd/dvd players on the ide cable connected, still get the same crash.

Now what i have not tried yet is the burn proof thing, How do i disable this? (im not sure if this cd writer actually has a burn proof option)

My pc used to be doing ok when writing cds before so i dont think the pc wont have enough power for this cd writer

Shadowz,
Your Venus II is apparently a re-badged LiteOn 48x24x48, which has not BurnProof but the similar SmartBurn. So it is not a bad drive at all.
On this website you will find an extensive test of your model (where I got my info from).
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD00NTUmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ==

It says though that it takes up to 20% of CPU-power on a Pentium4 2.8MHz, which is fairly high.

Switching off burnproof/smartburn is never a good idea. What you could try initially, is writing to Harddisk first, and from there onto the CD. Make sure to use a reliable CD-ROM brand, such as Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, or one of the best: Kodak Gold. Get them certified for as high a speed as you can get/afford. (CD-R 48x).

Have you checked that DMA is enabled for that CDRW?
Also, check your ASPI-layer. Download this package from Adaptec, unpack it and run Aspicheck.exe
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...no&language=English+US&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe

Please report back with your findings.

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Shadowz,
Your Venus II is apparently a re-badged LiteOn 48x24x48, which has not BurnProof but the similar SmartBurn. So it is not a bad drive at all.
On this website you will find an extensive test of your model (where I got my info from).
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD00NTUmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ==

It says though that it takes up to 20% of CPU-power on a Pentium4 2.8MHz, which is fairly high.

Switching off burnproof/smartburn is never a good idea. What you could try initially, is writing to Harddisk first, and from there onto the CD. Make sure to use a reliable CD-ROM brand, such as Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, or one of the best: Kodak Gold. Get them certified for as high a speed as you can get/afford. (CD-R 48x).

Have you checked that DMA is enabled for that CDRW?
Also, check your ASPI-layer. Download this package from Adaptec, unpack it and run Aspicheck.exe
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...no&language=English+US&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe

Please report back with your findings.

ive downloaded that aspi thing and installed it.

ASPI32.SYS 4.71.2 16877bytes
WOWPOST.EXE 4.6 (1021) 4672 bytes
WINASPI.DLL 4.6 (1021) 5600 bytes
WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.2 45056 bytes

I dont know how to check if i have enabled that DMA, and to be honest ive no idea what ASPI -layer is too.

It is a bit of a convoluted proces. Because you swapped the CDRW, WinXP does not know that your CDRW could run under DMA instead of PIO.
The best way is disconnect the CDRW and uninstall everything in Device Manager. Switch off PC and reinstall the CDRW as master on IDE-2. WinXP will recognize it and reinstall what driver(s) it needs.

Then click Start/Run and type in: Regedit and press enter.
Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Under 0001 or 0002 (Whichever one is the Secondary IDE Controller), delete the entries:
MasterDeviceTimingMode
MasterIdDataCheckSum
by rightclicking on them, then select Delete and confirm with OK.

That'll reset the UDMA data and force a re-detect on the Master device.

The Aspi-layer is necessary for most CD-burning programs, but it does not hurt if your specific program does not need it.
It is originally a converter-module to allow IDE-hardware access to SCSII-hardware (a CDRW is technically still considered a SCSII device).

Do a trial-run first. Most software let you simulate the burning process before actually burning it. When the "dry run" works OK, give it a run on a cheap CD-R.

BTW, it's my dinner-time now, so I'm closing down for the day.
Good luck

when i do a speed test and let it do the test everything is ok but when i try burn it just crash after about 2 minutes.

:(

ive just uninstalled nero and drag& drop things to the cd rw drive and let it burn like that, it succesfully burned 400mb of files. Ill try again with 600 mb and see if it works

it worked again. Thx for all the help therealblackstuff. Im not sure if i have solved this problem but so far it looks like its working.

Nero must have interfered with XP's own program. I don't know XP (have W2K) but I understand you can either switch off or uninstall XP's CDRW-program, if you are not happy with it.

Anyway, glad you found a solution.

p3 800eb problem

I have an 800 eb (coppermine i think) i have a no 80 pin coductor cable error that comes up when i boot... the comp boots fine and runs untill i try to install softeware from cd rom drive (brand new lg burner) or when i use ms word xp i get the blue screen with a vmm or vxd error and word caused error do i want to report it yadda yadda... could the cable thing be related to my error problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back