homonym/homophone? list

SNGX1275

Ok, don't know if anyone is going to have any fun with this thread, but occationally we start thinking about it in the IRC channel and it provides a bit of entertainment for a while.
I started making a list with a few of my friends 2 summers ago. Each afternoon a few of us would get together and bs and such and toss the frisbee or kick a soccerball around and then later on sit down outside and drink beer all night - one night we got an idea to start up a list of homonyms/phones (not sure what the absolute correct term is). We had a huge list, but then lost it.
Basically now I want to see if we can come up with a list of them here on TS just for fun. Here are the rules:
1. No proper nouns.
2. No plurals
3. No English vs Canadian vs American spellings. Actually I want to stick to American spellings only so no extra "u"s like in favourite - just plain favorite will suffice.
4. Try to stay out of specific scientific fields. For example gneiss/nice is one in the geology field. And as much as we'd all like here I'd like to avoid byte/bite. But cache/cash would work since it has a meaning outside of the computing world.

Also: Please do not visit websites that have a list and link them here or post a bunch of their words here, that just destroys any fun that can be had by playing this game.

Here's somethign to get you started....
ail ale
ate eight
aunt ant
bare bear
bee be
bite byte
blew blue
boar bore
buy by bye
cache cash
caught cot
chord cord
colonel kernel
dew do
dye die
eight ate
ewe you
eye I
fair fare
faun fawn
flee flea
flower flour
flue flew
for four
grate great
guerrila gorilla
heard herd
heir air
here hear
in inn
knead need
knew new
knight night
led lead
lite light
maid made
mail male
mite might
or ore oar
our are
paige page
pail pale
penne penny
plane plain
pour poor
read red
rode road
role roll
sail sale
sea see
serial cereal
soul sole
steak stake
steal steel
sun son
tale tail
tea tee
there their they're
through threw
tin ten
too to two
wail whale
waive wave
weather whether
weight wait
where wear
whet wet
whole hole
witch which
won one
would wood
wring ring
write right

Aw Awe
Bade bayed
Beaut butte
But butt
I'll aisle isle
Wheel we'll
Yore your you're

How about some slang? Fat phat?? Or maybe that should be a separate thread:>}

Gadzooks!!! I've been EDITED.

When you're noticed by the Moderators, you can no longer lurk.

hom·o·phone ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hm-fn, hm-)
n.
One of two or more words, such as night and knight, that are pronounced the same but differ in meaning, origin, and sometimes spelling.

hom·o·nym ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hm-nm, hm-)
n.
One of two or more words that have the same sound and often the same spelling but differ in meaning, such as bank (embankment) and bank (place where money is kept).

at @ :confused:

Yeh I wasn't sure what it was called and I remember seeing one defination for each that didn't seem to make it clear. That one does. Yeh lets stick with homophones.

Back