Install/Burn something and audio gets real laggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

Ok, this is kind of a strange problem. I have never heard of this before. I got a 24x10x40 Mitsumi burner. I installed it and got everything working ok. Well mostly everything. I have been getting the problem of my audio getting really REALLY lagged when I try and burn something. I know I have used other people's burners and can do other things while burning, but not when I use mine. For example I have AIM open and set to play a sound when I get a message. It plays, but it is extremely lagged out and sounds pretty crazy. I also just found that when I was installing a game through my DVD drive it did the same laggy audio as when burning, but not quite as bad.

I am using Windows XP Pro, Maxtor 40 gig HD 7200 rpm, AOpen DVD player, and AOpen AK73Pro(A) MOBO. This should be all the Hardware needed.

I am also experienceing that buffer reduction problem that Didou was experiencing as well. But haven't tried that option yet.
Any suggestions on enableing something, or changing something are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, and hope someone knows.

Not sure whether this will help, but have you turned on ATA support for your devices?

Yes the same thing happens when I burn to a CDRW which only supports 4x. It is a very strange problem. Anything else, just ask.
Lokem > I am pretty sure I have it enabled. I can't remember right now, but I will check next time I restart.

Originally posted by poertner_1274 [/i
I am using Windows XP Pro, Maxtor 40 gig HD 7200 rpm, AOpen DVD player, and AOpen AK73Pro(A) MOBO. This should be all the Hardware needed.

It's not. Which soundcard do you have, or is it integrated into motherboard? Does the soundcard/chip use the same IRQ as the IDE controller to which your CD-drives are attached? Have you tried disabling XP's own CD burning things & digital audio?

I have onboard sound, I'm not sure about the IRQ slots, and I am not sure how to disable XP's burning things and digital audio. I guess I need to look into that a little more.
Thx Mictlantecuhtli

This, by all intents and purposes, is not unusual. When you are burning, often the program involved is chewing 100% cpu resources as WELL as the device being busy. When audio attempts to play and is starved of cpu time, its gonna be somewhat skippy, expect it. I can't say for newer systems, but on all of mine it does that, sometimes when copying from a CD too, whether or not the sound card is integrated and whether or not IRQ sharing is occuring.

My advice? DON'T do other things while burning.

I can do almost anythign while burning a cd. Of course my burner is only 4x. But I can fire up a game of starcraft and have mp3s playing in the background all without making a coaster. (I do not have a burner with burn proof). I've only messed up 1 disk ever on this burner due to a buffer underrun (don't remember what exactly I did to make that happen) and I've burned probably somewhere around 500 cds with this burner.

Specs:
1Ghz Athlon
512Meg CAS2 Crucial
Asus A7V mobo
DeathStar 30gig 60gxp
DeathStar 60gig 60gxp
Mitsumi 4x4x24
WinXP Pro

Is it really because my burner is that slow that I don't expierence problems? I don't think it is. My parents have a P2 300 with a 24x burner with WinMe and I can burn and listen to mp3s at the same time. I dont' think anyone should have to shut down everythign just to burn a cd - there has to be a cause and solution to the slow down problems people are having while burning.

Yeah, I don't understand it either, but I checked my IRQ's and they aren't shared. My primary is on 14 and my secondary is on 15. So my cables are setup with primary having my 2 hd's, and my secondary haveing my dvd player and burner.

As SNGX said I have known ppl that can do exactly that, do many things while burning cd's. I just want to know what is wrong with mine. It should take me about 3 mins to burn a cd with my 24x, but it usually takes me about 10. No matter if I shut everything down, and only use my burner. Even lower speeds doesn't matter. This just gets annoying. I am positive there is something simple I need to do to fix it, but I just dont' know what EXACTLY it is. I'll keep looking and asking people, but until then. I guess I'm not gonna be doing anything while I'm burning. :(

Have you tried different IDE channels and/or different IDE drivers? Which cd-burning application are you using? Is it 100% WinXP compatible?

Alright, thank you to Mictlantecuhtli on IRC and a little snooping around by myself. I have fixed my problem. All I had to do was update something from the mitsumi website. I had previously tried this, but didn't work. So I tried again, and hey it worked. I have no idea, but it is fixed now and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back