Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All...I need some help. Here is the back story:

I installed Partition Magic 8.0 and partitioned my 20GB HD into 4 drives:

C: [NOTEBOOK]
D: [Media]
E: [Page File]
F: [Temp File]

Well, I used my D: drive for all my music/pictures/videos...but I got to a point where I needed to make more space on that drive...so I opened PM back up and did a few quick resizes (shrinking C: primary drive, and extending D) I restarted my computer so the changes could be made. When my system rebooted...PM started going to work like before...but then all the sudden my computer crashed. When I tried to restart it...windows would not boot up. I had to reformat and reinstall windows from scratch. I didn't think this would be much of a problem since I had all my stuff on different partitions. But when I started windows back up after installation...I went to My Computer, and it didn't show my other drives. I reinstalled PM opened it up and it didn't show the other partitions. I was freaking out! I went to Disk Management...and Zilch! Nada....So I searched around and found a great recovering program called R-Studio. I scanned my computer...and sure enough it found all of my old partitions. I successfully recovered all my music and stuff from the D: drive.

Anyway...I was recently thinking about partitioning my HD again, but thought that I might be able to recover those old partitions. I found this forum...and someone mentioned a program called 'Testdisk' It was freeware and really small in size, so I didn't expect much. However, it did recognize the old partitions, so I think maybe I can undelete them. The problem is that it found some other partitions which I am not sure about. Here are a screenshot:

PrimePart2.jpg

First, why is it showing 3 different 'NOTEBOOK' or C: drives...and why are they all deleted? Are these 3 additional drives aside from my primary C: drive?

Also, why is it showing 2 'Page File' Drives?

And, I have never made a partition called [SHARED] so what the heck is that?

Lastly, the partition without a name...looks like a clone of my D: Media Drive? Is it?

I need to know which partitions on this list to undelete...so that my computer will be like it was before Windows crashed.

Additional Notes:
HD has only been partitioned that one time (4 drives) I haven't partitioned since the windows crash i.e. I've never made a second 'Page File' drive.

I hope you guys can help. Any input is very much appreciated.

JWL

Welcome to TechSpot

Only the other day I first read about Testdisk (in PC Answers Issue 132, May 2004)). They advise to read the instructions very carefully, as Testdisk (from www.cgsecurity.org ) "discovers" all previous partitions as well. That is happening to you apparently.
Pehaps their website gives more info, or other forum-visitors know about the quirks.
PCAnswers advise to leave your HD untouched when in any doubt, because restoring the wrong partition-data can really screw it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back