Sasser Worm

Status
Not open for further replies.
and so it begins... again!

I guess its just more important to the average user to not be bothered to patch their system than it is to keep themselves somewhat protected against things like this.

BTW, here is an article on it, posted yesterday by Per Hansson.

Quick question. Amoung other things, the instructions for avoiding the Sasser is to have a personal firewall in place. Is the one that comes with XP sufficient or do you guys recommend another one, like Norton Personal Firewall.

Just curious.

I use Sygate's Personal (and free) firewall, but that's strictly personal preference. That AND a D-Link router coupled with all the patches and updated virus definition files and good for me.

jshields13 - yeh the windows one is sufficient for this. you just can't customize it like you can 3rd party ones (at least not easily).

For my money ZoneAlarm is the best. There is a free version that is definitely better than Windows or the pro which I would say use for sure if you have any networked computers at home/work.

Clicking the surcuity site takes you to an "under construction" page with some embedded flash... Almost makes me wonder if it didn't have a present of its own. Thankfully Mozilla doesn't come bundled with flash and isn't too eager to install it for you either.

I think the thing you are speaking of is the button you click to check to see if your PC is infected. And that can only be ran in IE. In opera the button is there, but is unclickable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back