How do you reinstall Windows ME?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

When reinstalling Windows ME do you go to Start>Contorl Panel>Add/Remove and remove Windows Me out of the List before you reinstall from the WinowsME CD or do you remove it from the startup list after you reinstall the new version or do you leave the list alone completely before and after the new install?

So much to learn...so little time

Ray

Hmm, you better not reinstall windows Me at all, it's the worse OS ever created... if it can be considered being a real OS ...

You can't remove Windows from add/remove, because it's not a regular program / extension anyway.

Pick a real OS (Windows 2000 / XP or even an alternative one like Linux), backup your personal data, format your partition where Me was installed and do a clean install of your new OS by booting to the installation CD of that OS.

That's what I would recommend.

DigitAlex

You may be right but the system is old and no need to spend good money on it when a new system is in the future. I already reinstalled ME over the existing install now I have 3 items in my Add/Remove 1) Delete Windows Millennium Uninstall Information
2) Uninstall Windows Millennium
3) Windows Millennium Edition Q823559 Update
#3 was the only one in the Add/Remove list before the reinstall. The system seems to work smoother without crashing now when I play the games that crashed before the reinstallation but now it seems that I have 2 OS's running at the same time but this could be my imagation as well. I figured I could do the reinstall and if things went from bad to worse then I would do the format hdd and the clean install of ME. Oh...this is the second reply I sent you but for some reason the 1st one never got to you guys......:)

Ray

Hmm okay

then you'd better go for 98 SE which is far more stable than ME.

Installing an OS over another one is not a very very good idea, IMHO ....

Do it properly...

boot to a floppy and nuke ME

format c:

then get a real OS and run the setup.

Where did you get the notion that you could uninstall Windows from Windows?:confused:

edit: As always, I'd pick Red Hat Linux (or Fedora Core 2) over some cruddy Windows, especially ME. RH is so easy now that there's no excuse not to use it.

First of all, save all your personal data, like My Documents, photos, music etc. on another harddisk, another partition or burn them onto a CD.
If you have nothing to save, put in your Startup-floppy (Use a Win98 startup-floppy if ME has none) and format the harddisk: format C: /s /u
Then restart from your floppy with the CD-rom support option , insert your ME-CD, go to it and type in setup
Follow instructions.

Before you start, make sure you have all the necessary drivers for graphics card, audio, modem, network, etc. as well as the CD that came with your mobo.

I guess running Norton Win Doctor won't be in my favor either. I wish this computer wasn't my business one and didn't have so much on it. If it gets bad I'll have to format and start over. The next computer should be partitioned into how many sections if I get a 160 gig hhd?? What setup of these partitions is good?
Ray

The partition size is dependant on what you will be using the machine for.
If you use large media files, play games or want a section for business stuff etc....

I really do not understand why Me gets slated so much, i found it quite stable.

I have had ME running for over 4 years and I have only had the odd game crash...they seem to be crashing more and more but somehow I think it has something to do with the way my 256 mg of ram is being distributed or maybe it's not enough when you consider I have Communication, Virus and Firewall on all the time. Or is this the Problem of using Windows ME? And then sometimes when I play a game that crashes most of the time......it works ok.
Ray

never use the /s switch if you plan to install any OS later than Win95. That switch will cause DOS system files to be copied to the disk.
Also, the /u switch will ignore bad sectors and format the entire disk. Be sure to run chkdsk if you use the /u switch. A better switch to use would be /c which will recheck any sectors previously marked as "bad" and recover any which are not bad.

That's what I do *looks at dead computer in corner*. On second thought, go with what the others said. If it has anything important be absolutely sure you have it on removable media before you format. It will become quite a pain if you have to recover your data from a format (it can be done).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back