Disk Cleanup Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstpaintball

When I run Disk Cleanup it stops progressing scanning through my HD to calculate how much disk space it will be able to free up. It stops on "Compressed old files".

I left it on for like over 2hrs earlier and it still wouldn't progress. Also note, that its not when its deleting the files, its when its scanning for files to be deleted.

And when I exit Scan Disk when its "frozen", it still runs in my background taking up about 100% CPU Usage.

Is there a way I can delete these "compressed old files", without having to use scan disk?

This is for my C Drive, it currently has about 1.15gb free of 14.9gb. This drive is partitioned into 2 drives, C and D. D Drive has about 40.3gb free of 100gb.

I believe I had over 2gb free on C drive last night. But when I downloaded and tried to install a FarCry demo (wanted to see if it would run on my system), the setup.exe ran for a long time, and then I got a popup message that C Drive was almost full, had only like 44mb of free space left for some reason. I deleted some stuff off of C Drive this morning hoping that it would help Scan Disk complete, it didnt though.

Also, not sure if it matters or not, but I did try to run Scan Disk in Safe Mode. I have also checked C Drive for errors.

I've seen this on many computers. So you aren't alone.

Here is a potential solution:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248&Product=winxp

SYMPTOMS
When you try to compress old files, the Disk Cleanup tool may stop responding and you may receive the following message:
Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:).
This may take a few minutes to complete.
Scanning: Compress old files
CAUSE
This problem occurs when there is an incorrect entry in the registry that is used by the Disk Cleanup utility to locate compressed files.
WORKAROUND
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.
5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.
7. Quit Registry Editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back