Gamecube repair - Laser/Spindle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoLD_SToRAGE

Hi,

This is more of a question for UK members although any help is appreciated. I have recently found in my position a nearly working gamecube, while happy with my PC, the thought of a few games of burnout 2 or viewtiful joe do sound appealing.

The Problem: Gamecube does not recognise any discs and the disc never begins to spin, either (A) Motor is gone, or (B) Laser is gone and there fore doesn't 'see' anything so never bothers to spin the disc it cant see. Thats how I Figured it, unless anyone can correct me?

Solution: Get new motor and laser, dont cost too much from what I see.

Problem mkII: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......

Having difficulty finding these parts for sale in UK.

Any help at all is welcome, but failing that I could always get one of those converters and play GBA games on it

P.S. What kind of screwdriver thing do you need to get into gamecube? is it a special type or just one I dont seem to have. :)

I found one screwdriver that seems to fit:

http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/gamecube/gamecube.htm

SNES/SFC/N64/GG/PCE/TG16 etc. console screwdriver

£9 GBP

* Shank is 52mm long
* Chunky handle, making it easier to use
* 4.5mm type
* Allows you to open your console for cleaning and modification

You could test if laser works by pressing the lid closing switch while the lid is open to see if it lits on.

Hey,

Thanks for the tip. Tried it and it turned out the laser is shot, I found one on ebay.com for $25, could have had my wifes mom ship it over but...

A new second hand game store opened near me, and can buy a gamecube second hand for the price it would cost me to repair it! So I think I may just leave it, if I do want one I'll buy one instead of being cheap! lol

Thanks for your help tho.

Gamecube is a sweet system, the graphics are crisp and clear, and they have more games i actually 'Play' tan any other system I own (PC aside...)

hi please don't say that you have thrown away your broken cube!!!
i have got a working gamecube laser unit, but my mainboard is broken...
now i need a new one...
i can give you money for it, i live in germany.

please answer!! :giddy:

Hey Danu,

I'm going over to the US for a couple of weeks, but when I get back (end of january), I'll check out how much the postage would be, just pay for the postage and its all your's.

I'll sort something out with you when I get back.

could i buy the postage on the motor/spindle? i've been searching everywhere for a replacement motor for my gamecube... nintendo charges $50 for a repair.. :(

thanks.

-ujn

hi i don't need the laser unit.
only the case and everything else but not the laser unit.
because i have one. (a working one)
i wan't to fit it into this cube.

daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back