Replace Mobo & CPU, Failure to boot now...help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a replaced my Mobo & Cpu and now it won't reboot. I orginally had a AMD 450 and I wanted to upgrade. I bought a Mobo combo on Ebay, P4 2.4 Ghz Prescott with a ECS Mobo. I also had bought 2 sticks of 512 ddr 333. The old mobo wasn't working that well, it's a long story....powersource blewup and disabled some parts of the mobo. I install the new hardware and the modem and video card. Now, it indicated that there was no OS detected. It also says "Failure to Boot Disk, Insert System disk and press enter". WTF? THe last time I upgraded the mother board, everything went fine. I made a windows boot disk and it tried to reinstall windows xp. It won't work. Any ideas?

Hmm..

What OS are you using?
If you are using either XP or 2k, changing motheboards like you've done is a major problem. But it is solvable.

The easiest way to fix this is to move the harddrive into the old system, and boot into the OS.
Then follow these instructions.
Now, they look very difficult, but just ignore all the pnp-id stuff and follow the instructions on how to create and use the mergeide.reg file.

That should allow Windows to start when we've gotten the motherboard to recognize you've got a system disk in.

To do the latter, make sure your system harddisk is set to "Master" on the primary IDE channel (it'll have a name tag with "IDE1" or similar next to it).

That should be all that you need to do, but if not, post back and we'll try to help you further :)

I was running XP home, SP1. I had orginally had 98 on it. A few times, it requested a 98 disk. I inserted it, but it rebooted and the same ole stuff happened again. I have the HD on IDE1 and it's on master, I use to have a slave HD...but I just disconnected it and worked on the problem. I'll try the link and let you all know.

If you are using your slave hard drive it may not be a bootable drive. May have to reset it up in the BIOS and make sure your jumpers on the HD are set to either Cable Select or Master. If it is set to slave that would cause a problem. XP Setup has to see the hard drive for it to work. I would run the XP Setup program and do a New Install and repartition the Hard Drive. Of course you should have backed it up before you took it apart if you want to save your files.

You guys are PC Gods! I went to the link and followed the directions, some seemed to be a little scary. I just pulled up my sleeves and went to work last . The hardest thing was that the old mobo had some problems, A drive don't work. I had to burn a few CD's to get the info. But, it worked. I can't believe how fast it is now. Thanks guys, I owe you all one!

help. i'm a new member of course. i know i am in the wrong place, but, i just recently purchased a canon lap model innova book 475 cds. knowing absolutely nothing about laptops, i gave $106. for this item. how bad did i mess up? can you tell me anything about this laptop. this is all the info i have on it-1.6 gb 640 kb 100mhz processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back