Need Clarification on Win2k Modem Tweak Guide

Cryo

I just bought a new Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop which has a software modem that I've been having some trouble with. I ran through the tweak guide but was unsure as to what exactly qualifies as a "Winmodem" my modem is almost definitly software driven (if the CPU goes above ~75% for more than 3 seconds it drops the modem connection) but I don't know if it qualifies as a winmodem and for the purposes of tring to tweak it i need to know. Thanks
-Cryo

An easy enough way to test if its a winmodem is with the mouse, move it up & down when you launch, say IE (assuming its set to auto-connect). You'll get a pause in movement when the modem initialises & disconnects too.
What's the modem called in Device manager?

The modem is listed as an "Actointec MD56ORD V92 MDC Modem". I don't really plan on using the modem that much only in the interm before I start grad school but it's really annoying the amount of times this thing will randomly drop the connection. When I bought the laptop the modem model wasn't listed or I would have checked this out ahead of time. Anyhow let me know if you have any suggestions on how to keep a somewhat stable connection. I've tried a couple of different settings but nothing seems to help the situation.

Back