Networking a cable connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

vassil3427

Hi,
Today Time Warner came and installed Earthlink Highspeed cable internet in my house, on one computer, it works great....but I want it on my other pc too, so i wanted to network my two computers together(One is running Windows XP Home, and the Other Windows Millenium) The one with Windows Millenium has the cable connection right now. I attempted two things to get them networked....first i tried using a networking hub...(Which somebody gave to me..) only to find out you cant use a hub to network cable internet(having the cable modem hooked directly too the hub, and the other pc's on the hub too) then I tried what the MS support guy told me to do, I put two Ethernet cards in the Millenium pc, one card having the cable modem hooked too, and the other being networked to my other pc.....this didnt turn out well....I tried setting up home networking in win xp to get the shared internet from the other pc..but when i used the Network Setup floppy on the Millenium pc, it didnt give me the option to share the connection with Windows XP....so now I'm stuck....what do i do? Should I just go buy a Network Router? or can some one help me?

well I hope somebody can.....thanks:D
Sorry so long!
P.S. I'll be happy with any replies....though I cant really try anything right now....first day of High-speed service...and guess what?? Supposedly my entire areas cable service is out! Thats what i found out after being on the tech support line for 2 hours and being transfered a million times(I though I messed the connection up...ended up service wasnt working anyway..lol)
:dead:

hey vassil, i'm not sure who told you that you can't use a hub to network 2 computers using cable, but they are very, very wrong. What model Cable Modem do you have? How have they hooked it up? Via USB or NIC? Your best bet would to buy a router with a built in switch, like the Linksys BEFSR41 or other models from them or any company boasting a Built in firewall (router) and a 4 port or 3 port switch. I'll be glad to help you troubleshoot getting everything connected, but I don't even suggest you try working on it until your cable is back up, if even it is down. I suggest you check the light marked CABLE on the modem to see if its lit. Has the cable worked on that computer before? I've had a couple run-ins with people coming from the cable company and them telling me the cable is down and 2 days later it still being down and figuring out it was the technician who didn't even set it up properly. :mad: I've really grown a dislike for technicians coming to work on my internet connection. :mad:

Post back with some more information. :grinthumb

The modem is the Motorola SB4200 and is connected by NIC, who told me i couldnt network it by hub???Microsoft Technical Support....Infact the tech guy sent me an email that says you cant network the cable connection using a hub...And yes I do believe the cable service is down, because for some odd reason the people at time warner transfered me all all over North America...I live in Ohio...they transfered me to Columbia, South Carolina??..and then the guy is like "Why on earth did you get transfered to me?? then he transfered me to Ottawa, Canada.....And then the lady there transferred me to Virgina...then the guy there transferred me to Wisconsin...and that guy...after going of some stuff(we did ping tests and stuff) said "Hey hold on a sec, whats your phone number???" so i told him...he says back to me "Listen to this" and he transfers me to an ohio tech support agency....where i get a recording "Attention...(lists a number of counties including mine.....) Your service is temporarily down, are technicians are working hard to restore your cable....thank you" but anyway back to my post, yea PHATMAN is that the only router you recommend? Cause I think I'll probably just go buy one in the next few days..and I'll probably need your help working out the bugs:grinthumb
P.S. All the green lights are on...Power, Receive, Send, Online.

hm...never heard of not being able to hook up a network in a house without a hub :shrug: That's a great example of technicians not knowing what in the hell is going on, giving you the run-around. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have internet but your online light is lit. Do you still not have internet? How long has it been that you haven't had internet. When the tech left your house after installing it did it work?

I would suggest the Linksys since its the one i used (right now i have a siemens because my dad has no patience) and they have excellent award-winning tech support. My brother fried our router which we've had for like 2 years, and it takes like 2 days for linksys to send a new one and my dad just said he'd buy another router for those two days and here we are 2 weeks later and my dad still hasnt returned the siemens, nor filled out our address for linksys, lol.

routers, etc are not needed, all you need is some cable and a couple of network cards....

Internet Connection Sharing in Windows 2000
By Jim Pile

Reader Sharon C. has a question about using ICS in Windows 2000:

"I have three computers in my home office all running Windows 2000
Pro; however, only one computer is attached to the Internet through
a cable modem. As I understand it, Windows 2000 allows one to share
an Internet connection. How do I go about setting this up? Will it
interfere with my current LAN setup?"

Assuming that you already have two network cards in the computer
attached to the Internet -- one for the cable modem and one for the LAN
-- you can set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows 2000
quite easily. It will interfere with your current LAN to the extent that
you must match the network settings on each computer.

To enable ICS, go to the computer with the Internet connection and click
Start, Settings, and Control Panel. When Control Panel opens,
double-click 'Network and Dial-up Connections'. Now, right-click the
connection that you want to share (the network card attached to the
cable modem) and choose Properties. When the dialog box opens, click the
Sharing tab. Select the 'Enable Internet Connection Sharing' check box.
Follow the wizard to complete your setup.

Note that ICS will assign IP addresses in the 192.168.0.x range with
192.1698.0.1 assigned to the computer attached to the Internet. You must
now go to each of your remaining computers and double-click your Local
Area Connection. Now, double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP and select
the radio button labeled 'Select an IP address automatically'. Set your
gateway to 192.168.0.1 and click OK. The DNS addresses should stay the
same as they were to begin with.

You can't modify the network configuration again with ICS enabled. This
isn't usually a problem, but it's still something you should know. Also
note that the ICS enabled computer must be the only computer in the LAN
attached to the Internet.

The procedure for enabling ICS is essentially the same in Windows XP.

source: http://itw.itworld.com/

Yes, p66 is right, but in vassil's first post he says

MS support guy told me to do, I put two Ethernet cards in the Millenium pc, one card having the cable modem hooked too, and the other being networked to my other pc.....this didnt turn out well....I tried setting up home networking in win xp to get the shared internet from the other pc..but when i used the Network Setup floppy on the Millenium pc, it didnt give me the option to share the connection with Windows XP

i assumed that since he mentioned a router, he wanted to go that way, especially if he was going to be expanding soon.

Bought Router

Well i went to Best Buy and bought the Linksys Model# BEFSR41 ver.2 Router...while i was looking at the routers i noticed this one was marked down $20 because it had be opened, it said all contents were in the box and it has full warranty, so i got it(They even gave me a $10 rebate) But when i got home....I found out why it was opened...because it had been returned because it is faulty, only the #1 and #4 ports work on it, and it refuses to detect the modem...i also noticed the seal on the bottom has be broken....so I guess I'll return it tomorrow...and they'll give me a brand new un-opened one:D (still for $30 cheaper)...oh and I'm having a problem with the modem again....its almost exactly like last night, the modem is showing its fully connected(its only connected to my XP machine now) yet it refuses to access the internet, Its established a 100mb/s connection with my pc yet its not working, under activity and packets it says
sent:255 received:5 so right now I'm on 56k, is it a problem on my end or theirs? I havent called tech support....because really i cant stand them....

Try unplugging the cable modem from the mains, rebooting your machine and then waiting.... The cable modem takes a while to take to your NIC....

Our house has got a Cable modem all networked up and working:D

What we've done:
Simply connected the Modem to the Server PC, so that one is running internet without the need of the network, then connect the server PC to a network hub, and connect all the other PC's to the hub too, get all the network set up so all PC's can find one another!...
...then we use a program called SyGate, which is a proxy server, and automatically conifgures the PC's to connect through the server...this must be installed on all the PC's, and is available here..(you can get a 30day free trail to make sure it works):

SyGate Home Network
We have used WinProxy also, and the internet worked just fine through it, except I could not play Online Games :mad:

Have Fun ;)

Originally posted by Cucumber
Our house has got a Cable modem all networked up and working:D

What we've done:
Simply connected the Modem to the Server PC, so that one is running internet without the need of the network, then connect the server PC to a network hub, and connect all the other PC's to the hub too, get all the network set up so all PC's can find one another!...
...then we use a program called SyGate, which is a proxy server, and automatically conifgures the PC's to connect through the server...this must be installed on all the PC's, and is available here..(you can get a 30day free trail to make sure it works):

SyGate Home Network
We have used WinProxy also, and the internet worked just fine through it, except I could not play Online Games :mad:

Have Fun ;)

That will not help vassil in this particular instance considering he has no server computer in his house. Glad you got it working!

Well I got the new router and after that...it was extremely simple to hook up, so now both computers are living in harmony on the one Cable connection:D thanks for your help

the linksys brand of routers have been my favorite so far, they are very easy to hook up and very user friendly in configuring. Im glad you got this squared away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back