IE Status Bar Keeps Disappearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabrone

My status bar of internet explorer 6 keeps disappearing. I have to go to view -> status bar every time a new window opens or i open ie. Any way to keep it there? i have reset the defaults of ie still didnt work...

open windows explorer.....

view....

status bar...

tools.....folder options... view.... two tabs at top... like current folder... click it!!!

its done!

Internet Explorer? Windows Explorer? What the heck's the difference?

A trick is, while in Internet Explorer, type C:/ into the URL field, and voila! Internet Explorer turns into Windows Explorer! Cool, eh? ;)

Originally posted by Vehementi
Internet Explorer? Windows Explorer? What the heck's the difference?

A trick is, while in Internet Explorer, type C:/ into the URL field, and voila! Internet Explorer turns into Windows Explorer! Cool, eh? ;)

Originally, I believe, IE was designed as a Browser/Shell which is why it initially received so much flack, for good reason, It's numerously shown itself as a security risk to your system when it should do nothing more than browse the net.

www.opera.com

Moreover, MS were accused of trying to pull users away from using other browsers (i.e Netscape) by encorporating IE as part of the operating system.

Its really very good tactics. Create an alternative product to your main competitor. Encorporate it into the OS, thereby making it totally impossible to uninstall, and give it away for free. They did it with IE, they are trying to do with with Media Player and they will be it with the new SQLFS where SQL is part of the OS given away for free and rivals ORACLE.

But Why?

Where incorporating bundled software into the OS, I could understand that this creates a competitive edge. But why go through all the trouble of creating, maintaining, patching, and ultimately forcing software onto a consumer... for free?
Sure, you could argue that "nothings free" but, I'm positive that if you could by a copy of MS Windows without IE, it would be the same prices as its counterpart with IE. So, why not let another company such as netscape, deal with all the hassles of giving away free software? Where's the return on investment?

You have to think beyond simple revenue streams and look at the big picture, the world of stocks and shares and so forth. ( http://www.nasdaq.com/ ) Quite simply its better to give something away for free and squash a competitor than it is to not give that product away for free and save the costs of research and development. At least it is when you are a large multinational corporation like Microsoft where you can easily absorb the costs associated with creating IE 7, Media Player 9 and SQLFS ( the new version of NTFS where you can make SQL type questions about the filing system like you can now in terms of permissions and groups like you can in NTFS.... ooohs i am letting too much away here.......)

Say they give SQL server away free with the next part of the next version of Windows. That's a bit like then saying "well golly gee its worth giving this away for free because of the kick in the groin it is for Oracle." Same for Netscape. Look at them now. Used to be a few years back, you thought Internet you thought Netscape. But now a days every one is using IE if they are using Windows. And Microsoft owns the desktop market, so way over 90% of normal mortals use Windows and nothing else. Windows is now, with IE, completely internet ready out of the box. No need to install the browser yourself. Result? Who the hell are Netscape? A dead company no one gives a crap about. That's who...

Now I am sure that someone will come on here now talking about Linux where Netscape is not dead. But remember that, in terms of the workstation desktop, Linux is a complete non-entity. The fact is that now, because MS made IE4 so smart and clever and encorporated it into the desktop, now when people think internet they think IE. And so they think Microsoft. Get it?

I imagine that Oracle and Linux are MS's new enemies and that before too long you will have software built into Windows which is a direct threat to these two computer giants. You will get SQL server built into Windows and given away for free and you will get attacks on the credibility of Linux and the open source movement as well. Or something similar. Its already begun.

The fact is that now, because MS made IE4 so smart and clever and encorporated it into the desktop, now when people think internet they think IE. And so they think Microsoft. Get it?

Good point. I suppose forcing the free software is also a form of advertisment, when you use the net you use microsoft, but I never really understood why the big rivalry between MS and Netscape, to me it seemed that they're in different markets, one being OS the other Browser. Did MS perceive Netscape as a threat to their OS market share even when Netscape runs on Windows?

It also occurs to me that this could be construed as "dumping", basically giving away a product that undercuts your competitors at a price less than cost, to force your competitors out of business. Or does this not apply to software?

Now I am sure that someone will come on here now talking about Linux where Netscape is not dead. But remember that, in terms of the workstation desktop, Linux is a complete non-entity.
On an interesting Note here, It's my understanding that Sun Microsystems is no longer supporting Intel on Solaris and will be using a modified version of Linux to run on Intel servers. At which point I'd assume Solaris Admins will be more likely to install Sun Linux on their workstations to help consolidate their networks.

I predict a new version of windows with SQL built in..... media player 9 and.... and.... and forget IT!!! microsoft have already won!!!!!!

Originally posted by PanicX
I never really understood why the big rivalry between MS and Netscape, to me it seemed that they're in different markets, one being OS the other Browser.
I've always thought the same thing.

It also occurs to me that this could be construed as "dumping", basically giving away a product that undercuts your competitors at a price less than cost, to force your competitors out of business. Or does this not apply to software?
This was actually argued against Microsoft in the big DoJ anti-trust case. So I assume this also holds for software and Microsoft either wittingly or unwittingly partcipated in this risky business, so to speak.

I personally enjoy the features that come with Windows. It's an OS and it should be able to carry out daily functions for many people.. Browsing the Internet, burning CDs, play DVDs/music/videos.. etc... A true OS for the average consumer should be bundled with these things. It only make sense.

Microsoft would have done well to license third party apps though, for the sake of monopolizing. Also, giving consumers the option to install them... As an optional software package, would have been a more fair idea...

Even though MS might be the devil, integrating these extra features was truly a good idea, whether ill intented or not. If I ever created an OS, I would also incorporate as many useful features into it as possible.

Originally posted by PanicX
but I never really understood why the big rivalry between MS and Netscape, to me it seemed that they're in different markets, one being OS the other Browser.

Not so. Microsoft is in the computing industry. They don't just make operating systems, they make all kinds of software. Thusly Microsoft - Microcomputing Software.

Microsoft wanted to win the browser wars because the browser is the gateway to the Internet. And Microsoft wants to own the internet, the same way it wants to own the PC desktop. The internet is the future of computing. Don't you see how paramount it became for Microsoft to win?

Originally posted by Vehementi
Drifting only a tad bit off topic aren't we? :p

Yeah but that's like what discussion is about. It starts on one topic and flows into others. Only a debate should stay on one topic.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
open windows explorer.....

view....

status bar...

tools.....folder options... view.... two tabs at top... like current folder... click it!!!

its done!

And if that doesn't work, you could try this:

How to retain the Status Bar
If your status bar disappears when opening a new IE 6 browser window:

With (only one) IE open, click View, select: Status Bar
Right-click on IE's Toolbar and select: "Lock the Toolbar"
Hold down the Ctrl key and click the close button (upper right)
Open Windows Explorer, click View, select: Status Bar
Right-click on Explorer's Toolbar and select: "Lock the Toolbar"
Click Tools | Folder Options | View tab
Click the "Apply to all folders" button.
Hold down the Ctrl key and click the close button (upper right)
Open IE to any page, right-click on a link and select: "Open in New Window"
Verify that these Registry entries exist:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
"Show_StatusBar"="yes"
"Show_URLinStatusBar"="yes"

i needed only to complete steps 1 through 3 in order for my IE status bar to show every time. also, i checked the registry (even before i had performed the three steps, the registry entries were correct).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back