Best OS for Gamers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeseven

I'm currently using Windows ME and was told along time ago to get rid of it and now I'm fed up enough to do so.In your opinion what is the most stable OS for gamers?....98,98SE,maybe XP? Thanx

Probably for total games compatibility I guess for the time being Windows 98 SE would be the best choice.

Performance/Optimzation wise, I'd pick Windows XP. Devleopers and designers design software to run on the newest platform usually... Which would be XP.

Windows 98SE and/orMe gets my vote for most compatable though.

To combine whats been said, If you play older games that may be lesser known then I'd pick 98SE. But if you only play modern games (by that I mean stuff thats came out in the last year or 2) I'd pick XP.

Just removing XP Pro from my new laptop and installing Win 2k Pro. Could only switch off so much of the rubbish in XP to make it bearable that I have decided to revert back. Also most of my companies clients still use win 2k so it means any software I am working on is going to be compatible with our major clients windows versions... was going to dual boot but decided to keep the extra space for mp3s instead ;)

he's talking about a gaming OS.. not BUSINESS.. of course Win2kPro is better for business... it's built for that.

Win98/ME for the huge amount of games that can be played

Win2k/XP for the added stability but wont be able to play some of the older games.

Of course there is the issue of minimum spec to run as well.

If you look at most games, the minimum/recommended specs for running on 98SE is about half (especially in memory) of that required for 2K/XP. This is due to the massive memory wastage/overhead (delete as you feel fit :) ) of the NT based OSs.

Go with 98SE mate, not so nice as 2K, but if games are what you are after, then you shouldnt care about looks.

Originally posted by Reason
he's talking about a gaming OS.. not BUSINESS.. of course Win2kPro is better for business... it's built for that.

I know he is talking about a gaming OS... I play games onmy work laptop too. I run win98SE at home but might consider Win2k or XP since there seems to be less need for backwards compatibility with newer games running fine on XP. But as other have stated the NT based op sys's do tend to be a bit more bloated with admin/networking tools and the likes so if its pure gaming you are after win98SE still does it fine without eating gigabytes of your hard disk.

Originally posted by Top_gun
Win98/ME for the huge amount of games that can be played

Don't say the M word!!!!

I won't advise anyone to install that version of windows. It's so pathetic it's funny.

WINDOZE ME (sorry to swear)

Ive never had any problems with Windows ME and i play one hell of alot of games, and have done since i got this rig with ME.
Alot of people tend to think its a bad OS but i can tell you here and now that i have never had a problem with it.
Windows XP is the obvious choice if you only wanna play up to date games but there are compatiblity issues with alot of older ones, so if you wanna play old and new i would reccomend ME, probably much to the disgust of many here :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just lookin back over this post and thought i had to edit "*never* had a problem with ME" -to- "*hardly ever*". It does tend to crash a bit and Blue Screens of death can sometimes be encountered :D , but other than this i am a fan ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 98SE

1) Higher compatibility than Windows XP
2) More stable than Windows ME
3) Requires ½ as much memory as any NT OS
4) Higher Scalability than Windows 95 (You can install DirectX 8.1 on Windows 98 but NOT Windows 95)

For these reasons I choose Windows 98SE. I play a lot of older games and emulators.

Win XP works great for me. Beware, however, that ANY game can decide to grace you with compatability trouble. That is why, usually, patches are a god-send. If you do go with XP I would recomend at least 512 MB Ram. That is IF you intend to play newer game <ie. C&C Generals><Doom III> ~when it comes:grinthumb. That will give you great performance reguardless the "eye candi" with this OS. :cool:

Nazobyte, I am afraid that I have to disagree; when I had ME installed on my computer, I had NOTHING but trouble. In fact, it was such a disaster that I had to revert back to 98SE! And when it comes to gaming on ME, you can just forget about it, with constant compatibility problems and registry issues, it is really a waste of time to do ANYTHING on ME. My first choice for a gaming OS would have to be WinXP Pro, (is there even any difference between Home Edition?) I have not once had a problem with playing games released in the last two years; in fact, I have never had a problem playing ANY game on XP. Either I am just lucky, or XP is a great OS for the gaming world. For more aged games, I would have to agree with the majority and say that 98SE would be your best bet.

Windows XP Pro is definitely the best Microsoft OS ever and its what I use most of the time. When I want to run older games, such as System Shock 2, I use Windows 98SE.

The best solution is to have two hard disks (or dual boot a single disk), and have both WinXP and Win98SE. Without a doubt, if your hardware is relatively new, then Windows XP is going to give you less trouble and will run all your games better.

Something that I particularly noticed with Win98SE, after having used WinXP for some time, was the way the mouse freezes when the CPU is busy. This does'nt happen with WinXP, which is true multi-tasking and has better managment of system resources. Its even better than Win2k in this regard, though you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference unless you like running a lot of apps simultaneously.

Have both, that's my advice, then you can still pick up games in the bargain basement bin, along with any new games you might like. Note that WinXP is able to run a large number of old games, only a few of which will give you problems.:cool:

Windows Me. It doesn't have a lot of the fancy features of other programs, and you have to know how to tweak it in order to achieve stability. So after two years of tweaking, now I know what I have to do, and I run games and all my professional music editing stuff, and no problems at all.

Windows ME is CRAP!! totally and uterly crap - do not use it EVER! - no1 should be tortured that much
my view -
98/98SE - slow, unstable - not worth it
ME - do not touch! ever! never! no! let us neva mention it again!
NT4 - hard to use, uses masses of ram
XP Home/Pro - compatabilty issues, uses lots of ram/cpu power - SLOW!
that leaves
Win 2k - uses a fair amount of ram - but is VERY fast and stable
my vote is win 2k everytime

Steg

Win2k for newer games, 98SE for older...

But beware, there are no more driver releases for 98(SE), so if you add very new hardware, you might not get any drivers for w98....

As for Me... It depends very much on your configuration.... On some systems it's great, on others (like mine) it's hell....

.02$

I can understand why somebody would want to smash WinMe at first...

smileydies.gif

...but it runs perfectly now.

i heard somewhere that all the nice features in ME that dont work are simply the features in XP that do work (some of the time)....just the kinda 'public beta' lol

Steg

I'm using Win2kPro myself. Runs all the games I want to play (recently: Master of Orion 2 and 3, GalCiv, MOHAA, Max Payne, Delta Force 2, Arx Fatalis, BF1942, Kohan, Warcraft 3) just fine. The exceptions being UFO: Enemy Unknown and Halflife. Going to build an old school box for those though :)

I'm 95% sure it will run Halflife/CS with SP3 though.

I'd heartily recommend win2kpro for the majority of gamers.

First post :D

easy

It is between Windows 2000 and XP. It just depends on which works better on your system. All you can really do is try both and decide which performs better. XP is faster on a lot of machines but then a lot of those machines run into compatibilty problems that they don't experience with Windows 2000. Just something you kinda have to figure out for yourself. Always depends on the specific computer and user.

This the kind of thing that just all boils down to opinions. No one person is going to be right about this sort of question no matter how much they think they are right. So I suggest trying out multiple operating systems -- Windows 2000 and XP would be your best two options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back