Research questions broadband's speed appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Today I had to call my cable service provider to report a fault. Whilst listening to the sickenly repetative "on-hold" music [Your call is SO important to us, that's why we are continuing for another 10 minutes to ask you to hold......], I was, again and again, subject to the usual broadband connection sales pitch: "Its SO much faster than ordinary dial-up, and.... WHY, its ALWAYS ON!!!!"

These two factors of increased speed and "always-on" do seem to have been the selling points that the majority of providers have concentrated on with advertisement campaigns. But they might just be missing something....

Recent research is indicating that perhaps its not any of these two factors that's really selling broadband (internet gamers and heavy downloaders excluded), that its in fact, for the average Joe, "that it allows people to dip in and out of their Net connection without having to worry about ramping up a large bill, enabling people to include the Net into other parts of their lives....."

A quick and interesting read from PC PRO HERE.

What makes broadband so much better for you? Post a comment now.

Definitely the speed (ADSL 60k/s down, 30k/s up), and a low ping for online gaming.:D

There were of course several bonuses:

- You can use the phone at the same time as the internet. - very useful
- It only takes a couple of seconds to dial up.

its the fixed payment that the article highlights as the chief reason. i certainly recall viewing my on-line gaming sessions through dial-up with a certain degree of guilt, but the fact that you can use the phone at the same time as well is another real chief reason.

i can't imagine going back to dial-up any more. that's not the internet for me.

It's definitely the speed. And my wife doesn't yell at me for extended gaming sessions tying up the phone.

If I had broadband...

It would be for the speed, not tying up the phone line, plus the always-on-ness for fserving in the iRC chan, crunching UD overnight, etc. etc.

I'll get it once I get a job, which will probably be this summer, if at all possible.

DSL costs out here in the boonies costs $40/month from one ISP, and $22 from another :haha: I wonder which I'll go with...

For me it was speed...
We installed a second phone line back in 97 so I could be online whenever I wanted... Upgraded it to ISDN in 2000, and got a fixed price deal (8 hours online per day)...

But when adsl got here.... Man, the speed increase!
[EDIT] Though it was refreshing when I could stop thinking about how long I'd been online...[/EDIT]

And now I'm seriously wondering if I should get SDSL, but the installation price (400$) is just a tad high...

.02$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back