GeForce FX Derivatives NV31 and NV34 Will Not Support All DirectX 9.0 Features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

GeForce FX Brothers, NV31 and NV34 Will Not Support All DirectX 9.0 Features?

Accroding to X-Bit Labs, the NV31 and NV34 will not have DirectX 9.0 features. Here's what they had to say "Apparently, the NV31 and NV34 code-named products reportedly do not support all the features their elder brethren GeForce FX does. The NV31 is expected to utilise numerous technologies introduced in the GeForce FX VPU and also offer comparable performance to the GeForce4 Ti4600, but with possible improvements in antialiasing and anisotropic filtering speed. The NV31 is here to substitute the GeForce4 Ti4600 from the performance market segment. Generally speaking, the NV31 code-named products will compete with the RADEON 9500 PRO and 9700-based solutions, so, it is very logically for them to be cheap enough. NVIDIA has not confirmed the information, but said that both VPUs mentioned here derive from the NV3x architecture. I believe that the company will try to embody a number of the GeForce FX features via the software in case they are not supported by hardware, hence, the NV34 and NV31-based solutions will still be able to perform advanced effects, but using the CPU of the system." Whew, that was a lot of writing, you can look here at http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1042994509 for more information.

So we could consider the NV34 to be a Geforce FX MX.
I've recently read that the NV31 will be what was originally considered the Geforce FX, but since it was not performing better than the 9700 Pro from ATI they overclocked it and stuck on that huge cooling solution that takes up two bays (your AGP and one PCI). That alone makes me think that the NV31 will probably support almost the same features as the FX. Since there hasn't been an awful lot of information released regarding these NV30 derivatives its hard to make comment with very little data available. Lets put it in GF4 terms, what I think will happen will be the GF FX = the new GF 4 TI4600, GF NV31 = the new GF 4 TI4200, GF NV34 = GF FX MX. Have to see more data whether the X-bit information can be confirmed or added to.

When Nvidia relaesed their G4 MX series they didnt support Direct X 8 like their high end cards did. But....it is hard to see Nvidia doing that again since ATI's mainstream cards support DX9 like their high end cards do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back