Win2k/Slow Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy05

Win2k/Slow Shutdown ~_~

I just format my computer from Win98/FAT32 to NTFS and clean installed Windows 2000 Professional. I noticed a few things:

1) Hard Disk works very hard after I logged in
- I reckon it's the cause of the OS writing onto the PageFile...

2) LONG Shutdown time :( :dead:
- This is the part I can't stand. It takes WAY too long to shut down (At the 'Saving Settings' screen for a long time)

256mb DDR333. RAM Insufficient? Suggestions for long shutdown time?

Windows 2000 isn't exactly known for its quick bootup and shutdown, but I'll take your word that it is abnormally long. :)

A lot of times, this has to do with failed services. Check out Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Even Viewer/System

Look to see if you have any red "X" fatal icons or yellow "!" warning icons.

What you could pay most attention to is anything that has "Service control mananger" in the source column.

You can remove these services (many more are available than what is just in the service manager) via the registry.

Go here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services

And delete the service causing problems. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE RESEARCHED THE IMPORTANCE OF THAT SERVICE. Deleting a vital service could render your computer unbootable.

If you find something that looks fishy and aren't sure what it is for or if it is safe, please post what it is back here and the description by double clicking and selecting the text in the box. Then press CTRL+C and paste it here in your reply.

Oh, and since this is a clean install - I don't expect there to be any major problems with services. This is only a "perhaps", but it is worth looking into.

Okay I tried looking into services. I didn't spot any suspicious ones... though I DID deleted some services I don't use such as Messenger and FTP... still, it didn't help much in the shutting down time. I used to shut down in 5sec when I was win98, but the com takes 20 ~ 30 secs to shut down in win2k now... I think perhaps it's supposed to be this slow...

No, I didn't.

I reckon that'll slow down my shutdown rate even furthur, so I don't delete it when I shut down..

My parent's computer has a clean install of Win2000 on it and it takes an extreme amount of time to shutdown. Literally 2-3 minutes and none of the services are hanging. Doesn't really bother me since my parents never shut it down and the only time I do is on restart after comming home and running windowsupdate.
btw - its a p2 300 with 176megs of ram

The "Saving Settings" message is too vague. What is it saving that doesn't require any hard disk activity?

How about other users of Win2k Pro in TS? Do you experience long shutdowns too?

I have in total 4 computers and 3 laptops with Win2K SP3 installed. None of them have issues regarding slow shutdowns. However I have noticed that if you leave Win2K on for say a month without rebooting then when you do reboot it does take a while.

ss1.

Yes I saw that... but I've upgraded my OS to SP3, the problem doesn't happen with SP3 right?

btw I heard Windows dun delete files physically. They only mark the cluster as available, therefore, deleting should take only a short while... that is, IF i'm correct.

btw here's another problem I have. When I right-click my desktop -> view display properties -> Settings -> Advanced, this error always shows up "Windows encountered an error while working with desk.cpl." I'm using detonator 41.09... then my display properties will close... what happened?

This behavior occurs because when this policy setting is turned on, the computer must physically write to each page in the pagefile to clear each page. The period of time that it takes for the system to clear the pagefile varies according to the pagefile size, and the disk hardware that is involved.

This does not specifically address Windows 2000 SP1, but all versions of Windows 2000. This is done by design and has always been true with Windows 2000.

You may want to uninstall your nVidia driver suite using Add/Remove in control panel, then try reinstalling it again. It's probably just a problem with the driver's control panel. I've had a similar problem with my Radeon.

I checked that out, and have a lot of disk and atapi errors found. Any ideas? Shutdown on XP takes about 3 minutes or more for me, and this is right after a fresh format. :-/

Three minutes is a little bad. What ghastly horrors are lurking in your system tray (icons next to clock, volume control, etc which are progs running on your desktop...) ???

There's nothing in the tray next to the clock, and all programs to the best of my knowledge are closed.

If you've installed the 329170: Security Update that is your problem. Uninstall it. It will warn you that it will break all sorts of things if you uninstall it but ignore the warning. Worked for me and many others.

OK, I went to add/remove programs, and it was in there under WinXP hotfix SP2 (service pack 2?). However, there's no option to unistall or remove it.

On mine it said Windows 2000 Hotfix (Pre-SP4) [See Q329170 for more information]

Once you click on it and it's highlighted the Change/Remove button should appear. If it's at the bottom of the window you may have to scroll down a couple lines to see the button.

Another clue, it seems that there is HDD activity like in a normal shutdown, but instead of shutting down a few secs later, it just hangs.

Ahhh YES!

After a while, I've finally found the answer to my long shutdown problem -> The security 329170 patch.

Yippee! Cut down 20secs to shutdown!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back