ISA audio card hangs boot process

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

I have a Crystal ISA audio card that I have tried in both ISA slots and it hangs the boot process.
I believe I have used the card elsewhere and it worked, but I'm not sure. Do I assume it is bad? Computer boots fine without it. No jumpers on card.

I'm running 2k on a Soyo BX chipset MB.

Jumperless ISA sounds like a PnP card which you should configure from either DOS or Windows, the first in this case. It's probably an IRQ conflict, ISA sound cards typically use IRQ 5 or 7.

Can't get into windows, but I have moved the card to the other slot and the same thing. I didn't see any conflicts.

You can toggle the IRQ for LPT port in BIOS, it is either 5 or 7, so you may have a conflict there.

Also, when you leave, say, IRQ 7 for the sound card, go to pnp settings and set IRQ 7 to 'legacy ISA'

The card was using #5. I went into PNP/PCI config and changed irq assigned from PCI/ISA to ISA and the card went to #10. Still no conflicts and no boot.

I have a Crystal ISA audio card that I have tried in both ISA slots and it hangs the boot process.
I believe I have used the card elsewhere and it worked, but I'm not sure. Do I assume it is bad? Computer boots fine without it. No jumpers on card. MB sees the card though.

I'm running 2k on a Soyo BX chipset MB.

It could just be bad. You can get a PCI sound card for about $15. I don't know what you earn but I bet you've spent more time on this than you're worth. Just a thought.

MB sees the card? You mean that the POST stuff goes OK and when loading Windows, the thing crashes?

Same thing happened with a crystal audio ISA I had... it had onboard audio, IDE controller, modem, SCSI controller, and a few other things.. when I disabled everything except audio and set audio to be controlled by software, it booted fine, although it still gives me a resource conflict no matter what I do (although it boots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back