PartitionMagic boot code boundary

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

PartitionMagic boot code boundary

I need to resize my C: partition, which now contains WinME, to install XP . I have Win2k on the extended partition. My concern is resizing C: and moving my Win2k partition so that one or both would not be bootable. I recall when I first set this up a couple of years ago that I move things around and the system would not boot and I had to start over again.

I have a screen shot if someone would be willing to look at it and tell me what I can or cannot do.

Older computers have problems booting partitions too far from the beginning of disk. Your computer specs would help here. But since you are trying to install XP and are running 2k, I assume you have a fairly new computer.

The WinMe partition must be the first one and primary, so you really can't move that one, only resize.

If indeed your computer can't boot faraway partitions then if you don't move the 2k partition any farther from the beginning of disk you won't break anything for sure.

My problem is that looking at PartitionMagic I don't understand what: "Windows 2000/XP, 95, 98, and Me boot partitions must all start below the 8 GB boundary" means.

I have "triangle indicators" but don't know what there indicating.

Post your screen shot and try to explain in as complete a way as possible what are you trying to do and why its worrying you....

Well, if you have a place to host the image, you can link to it. If the image is smaller that whatever the attachment limit is, you can attach it. You won't be able to do it from the "Quick Reply" box though.

{img}http://location.of.image.jpg/{/img}

But the { is a [ and the } is a ]

If I used the correct symbol it will be treated as code in this message I write and try to do just that, so I use { in the example. use the other symbols and you will be fine.

I give. I don't have a website and can't get image small enough.

It just about finishes the day.

Thanks to all.

It is safe to proceed with the resize if you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP's boot manager. It should also be safe to use Windows 98/Me's boot.

Moving partitions is different though - Don't move a system partition and expect it to work without problems. Everything that has hard file paths (C:\windows\blah) will no longer work properly if you move the partition to be E:\ etc..

If you want to resize your partition, then that's fine. You may want to weigh the benfit/consequences of moving partitions though. There is some sort of "drive mapper" tool (Is that the name?) that is supposed to keep this from happening.. I've never really trusted it though.

All I would like to do is inlarge C: so I could Format and install XP. ME is on C: now. I just don't know about the boot boundy for Win2k which is just inside the indicators and if I move Win2k over a bit so I have a big enough partition to install XP I'm afraid I will not be able to get to Win2k which will be my main OS as it it know.

I never use WinMe which is on C:

What would happen if I move Win2k to C: and then create a partition for XP?

I believe it should only effect partitions with boot code past this boundary. Your c: should be the only partition with boot code under your setup.

If you run Partition Magic from Me, then you can just move the win2k partition and try to boot 2k. If it doesn't boot, start Partition Magic again and move the partition back to its original position.

Step 1
Moved the Win2k partition inside the left triangle indicators to make more space to inlarge C:.

So for so good. Will now inlarge C: and report back

Step 2 completed.

I have inlarged the C: drive to accommodate the XP.

Now I'm going to "pop" in the XP disk and see if it gives me the option to Format C: and install XP.

I'll be back..........

OK, here's where I am.

Started XP setup. Selected C: to install which is where WinMe is. Got a warning that said XP may have a problem because of the existing OS (WinME) and may not function properly.

It did not give me the option to format C:.

What now?

XP install in place of ME

XP install in place of ME

I want to install XP on my C: drive which now has WinME.

I was told that XP would re-format C: but instead it gives me a warning that I already have an OS on C: and that XP may not function properly.

There is also an option to delete C: partition and create a new one.

I am running Partition Magic and have ME on C:, Data on D:, NTFS on E:, Win2k on F: and so on......

Will XP use the same size partition? If not I'm afraid it would mess up the rest of my partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back