Sparkle Geforce 3 Ti 200 64Mb
Using the Onboard 5:1 Sound
Generic Network Card

Windows XP Professional
(Windows 98SE)
NVIDIA Detonators 23.12 / 27.70
Latest VIA Drivers

Currently I am having problems with Blue Screens of Death
(IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL), under Windows XP which I have been unable to come up with a soultion as yet. Mostly they occur when trying to do any serious work (such as DivXing), and occassionally just when booting up, yet it will play games all day without a single problem.

I have tried reinstalling Windows several times, both with and without VIA Drivers, in order to try and eliminate the problem, but even without any drivers installed (i.e. plain XP installation, with just one of my DivX programs) and I still get these errors. My only guess would be that it is a IRQ sharing problem, since I have about 4 devices (GF3Ti, USB2 controller, and 2 others) sharing IRQ11, but this cannot easily be changed, can it?

And to make this issue even worse, Windows 98SE still works fine, which leads me to believe it is a Windows XP compatibility or configuration issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

I haven't got another stick to try at the moment, but I am going to try installing Win2K and see if that also has problems, since I think it would be strange that memory would cause it to fail on XP but not on 98SE. Thanx anyway though

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Have you tried turning "PLUG AND PLAY OS INSTALLED" to NO in the BIOS?

I have tried this, both without reinstalling, and reinstalling Win XP. I still haven't tried Windows 2K yet though.

I have finally fixed it.

I tried installing Win 2K on it which worked, and in this weeks issue of Micromart someone solved exactly the same problem that someone else was having.

All that is required is to change the following settings under Power Management :-

ACPI Standby State = S3/STR
Call VGA BIOS at S3 Resuming = Disabled
USB Wakeup from S3 = Disabled

Set Wakeup Events = All Disabled

and it works fine.

Okay so I thought it had been solved, but apparently not, it started crashing again, with exactly the same problem as before.

Win 2K still doesn't seem to suffer from this, neither does 2000. But I do not want to use either of these OSes, as it is mainly for a gaming machine.

All MSI KT4 Boards, and many other KT400 chipset boards, are apparantly affected by this bug, at leaast according to Viaarena's Forums.

Now I am thinking about getting a new board, but can anyone suggest a new board ideally around £70. Also AFAIK NForce2 based boards are also apparently suffering from some problems, such as a high DOA rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back