Probems with Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 and Soundblast Audigy 2 Platinum ex

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building a new system and just added the last component, a Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum ex. I mated it to an older Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 5.1 speaker system which has been working fine on my old computer. I connected the SPDIF output from the external Audigy 2 processor to the AC-3 input on the DTT2500 processor. I get a very loud hissing noise from the speakers when I turn the units on. I can faintly hear music playing when I attempt to play something but it sounds pretty bad.

I have a Gigabyte GA-8INXP motherboard with on-board sound. I disabled the on-board sound in the BIOS and even removed the connections from the motherboard - still the same results.

I ran the Soundblaster diagnostics and they passed fine. I set the sampling rate to 48KHz (I read somewhere the DTT2500 couldn't handle the 98KHz rate the Soundblaster was outputting) and also tried disabling the Dolby processing on the external Audigy 2 unit to allow the DTT2500 processor to process the Dolby signal - still the same hissing sound.

I'm running out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else to consider?

Have you used AudioHQ to enable "Digital Output Only"? That sounds like exactly the problem.

If that's not it, do you have a microphone connected?

Have you installed the latest drivers?

Do you get the loud hissing at normal volume?

From looking at the specs online, I see you have "SPDIF Output", and "Digital Output For 5.1 Support". Have you tried them both?

Also, to get digital output on my Audigy, in addition to what Veh said about AudioHQ "Digital Output Only", I had to change from Analog to Digital Output on my DVD player. (WinDVD)

Does the hiss occur when the Audigy 2 is not connected to the DTT 2500?

Anyway, in Audio HQ, select Device Controls & set the Digital Output Sampling Rate to 48kHz. In the Decoder tab select SPDIF Passthrough. Your DVD decoder should also be set to S/PDIF Output (This is recommended as this will get the DTT 2500 decoding AC-3 which is the only way to get true 5.1 output with that system).

In Creative Speaker Settings set the Speaker selection to 4 Speakers. Do *not* tick Digital Output Only. Instead also connect to that system with the analog outputs as well (reason being the Audigy 2's DACs are better than the DTT 2500's & it is effectively only a 4 speaker system).

In Creative Surround Mixer be sure to mute any unneeded sources/inputs as well.

Problem Solved

Thanks for the inputs from everyone. I got up early this morning and decided to swap PCI slots to see if that was the problem (I had checked the seating on the board before and it was fine). After I made the swap, it worked! I don't know if I have a defective PCI slot or if even though it appeared to be seated properly and was locked down snuggly that it just wasn't making proper contact. At any rate it works now. This is the first system I've built so I guess I can chalk it up to a "rookie mistake" I guess.

Audigy 2 Ex and dtt 2500 speakers

I am using the same dtt2500 speakers/audigy2 platinum ex and I am only able to get 5.1 sound if I use the pass through feature and let the the the amp/decoder from the dtt speakers do the decoding. I also must use the Powerdvd dolby audio pack. to get 5.1, then after the DVD I have to go back into the damn audio HQ and set it back to the EX decoder.

The reason that I upgraded to the audigy 2 platinum ex was because I wanted to improve sound in games and listen to dvd Audio. When I play DVD Audio the digital outputs shutdown due to some copy law. This means I can only enjoy with headphones. Ive thought about upgrading to newer speakers but if theres a cheaper solution Id be thrilled.

Am I missing something obvious? I really dont know what else I can do. any Ideas?

Njord, your best solution would be to connect to the DTT 2500 with both the Digital & Analog outputs. That way you can use the DTT2500 for decoding AC-3 (Settings your DVD decoder to S/PDIF Out & Audio HQ to Passthrough), while whenever you play DVD-Audio (Well, anything else for that matter) it'll just disable the digital output & you'll get the 4 channel analog output (The Audigy 2 has better DACs than the DTT 2500 anyway so that's not a "bad" thing).

Don't "tick" digital output only either.

Thanks for the help !!! Especially the config settings. I don't know what cable to use and I dont know what inputs to plug into. Do you mean directly from the card? or from the EX I/O unit? On the back of the DTT2500 amp there are 2 minijack inputs and a DIN free. Which ones? Sorry Im asking for details but Im an Audio *****!!!

Njord

Thanks for the help !!! Especially the config settings. I don't know what cable to use and I dont know what inputs to plug into. Do you mean directly from the card? or from the EX I/O unit? On the back of the DTT2500 amp there are 2 minijack inputs and a DIN free. Which ones? Sorry Im asking for details but Im an Audio *****!!!

I have the same question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back