¿maybe my memory-slot damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungua

Actually, I was used to a pc with 160mb-ram - which is 32 + 128. now I own a faster one with one single 512mb-slot. but unfortunately, some problems occur: gta3 is collapsing all the time, I cannot copy a normal 1024x768 .tga-image to clipboard via corel (»low memory«) and after watching some freshly downloaded quake3-bots I got the message »low memory«, too. sometimes, even some multitasking surfing can bring me up to fully busy memory - is this a technical problem or am I asking for too much power!? I heard something like this memory-damage would lead to the problems I have.
speaking against it is a rather stable quake3 while in game and a fascinating stable 1nsane played also in 1280x1024 - without any stinky problem.

thanks and regards,
ungua

Attachments

• verarscht.jpg
    verarscht.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 16
Does it read as 512mb during POST?

Check your pagefile settings. If you have disabled the pagefile or have it locked to a very low amount there is a possibliity it could be causing this.

I said might be because I'm not 100% sure, I'm just guessing based on the symptoms. I can't tell that this and that doesn't work because of this, period.

Another thing you could try - but I'm not sure if it helps - is to edit %windir%\system.ini. Edit / insert the following lines into [vcache] section:

MinFileCache=32768
MaxFileCache=32768
ChunkSize=1024

thanks for replying!

@Mictlantecuhtli, what does this change and do!? i wasn't willing to criticise you, i found it just funny... ;)
what is »POST«!? at startup i have quickstart activated, the ram-checking works well if i activate it.
now, after installing gta3 again, it collapses after about 20 minutes. playing cnc generals against a friend, the connection interrupted when i had an army of 942 battlemaster-tanks moving towards him, he blamed it on my pc's power. actually, we built the very same pc, except he has water cooling and some 100gb more hd-space. :(

regards,
ungua

Min & MaxFileCache (not case sensitive, by the way) limit Windows disk cache size, a bit like smartdrive in MS-DOS. Usually, doing this leaves more free memory for applications.

POST = Power-On Self Test, includes the ram-checking you mentioned.

thank you very much. is this the same as the swap-file? i have limited this to 512mb, too. too less!? :blush:

regards,
ungua

changed the swap-file to 1024mb, no perceivable changes for games and stuff... :dead:

regards,
ungua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back