Win 2000 msconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.
win2k & msconfig??

I just updated to win2k and still a little confused about it, in win 98 I was very used to msconfig to edit what was running in the back ground to free up the ram and system, but I am unable to use this command in win2k, I get an error massage telling that the command file does not exist??? please help...

It's not there in Win2k. You can look in the startup directory in the profiles (C:\Documents and Settings) and in the registry (regedit) under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run for what's running at startup. Be careful with regedit.

You can also use "mmc"... (start->run->"mmc" (without quotes)

Then choose "console" and "add/remove snap-in".
"Add" and scroll down to "services", choose "Local Computer" and click finish. (close and OK yourself back to mmc)

now you can see what services is running, choose if they should run automaticly, or be started manually etc...

Just remember to save the snap-in before you start doing anything, or you might get in trouble...

A bit safer than regedit, and easier to use :)

That will show which services are running but won't show startup programs and programs that run under the Run line in the registry.

Originally posted by Tarkus
That will show which services are running but won't show startup programs and programs that run under the Run line in the registry.

That is true... Guess i didn't read his post properly...
Thought he only was after tweaking services... My bad...

But it's still a much better way to control the services than going into the register yourself... ;)

I checked and no msconfig software installed on wn2k, but what about removing things from loading at startup, used regit amd saw whats running but what about removeing them from startup?? could I use a third party software and what is good out there??

I just came across this the other day. There is a free program for download available at the link below that can be used as a msconfig type program to start and stop programs on startup.

Here is the link.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

I hope this helps, and it might be something that a lot of people should look at who are running win200 as it is a good utility.

I think Mictlantecuhtli is right. I only have Win2k machines around here so I don't have access to Msconfig, but I remember other forums have said that you can use it, now that my mind was refreshed.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional and every time i go to start, run and type in msconfig it says that msconfig cannot be found. is this normal? how can i access msconfig using win 2000 pro? Please help

The answer is no, but there are alternatives, including the "manual" way and third party programs.

Edited after I merged with an almost identical thread.

Yes u can use msconfig just like in win98 on win2k pro. Im surprised it was only lightly mentioned but all you have to do is use the win98 msconfig. If you don't have that one you can download it : HERE

Windows 2000 users should download it to C:\WINNT\system32. To use it, go to Start|Run, type msconfig and click OK.

Originally posted by PakAsad
yeh the link I gave above is the winXP one. And you're correct that the win98 one gives some errors.

Ok, I wasn't sure so I thought I would link to both just in case.:)
I don't think the errors amount to much more than another one of Bill's little nag screens.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back