Signatures & Images

Julio Franco

Staff member
What would you say if we don't allow any images to be added to signatures anymore?

Although I see many of you have them, and it should be because you like them but perhaps you wouldn't care, so that's why I ask, the idea would be that of making the forums cleaner and more information oriented...
Another good possibility would be a rule of having signatures (with or without pics) that are not bigger than 70 pixels in height.

So what do you think?

I would not like that. Its part of the fun for me to find as many Vader pictures as I can that match my particular overall mood of a time. Its sad I know but its a bit of harmless fun that I can't see any reason to ban. I also like to see other people's pictures as well. But perhaps there should be some size restrictions. I admit my own picture should be smaller.

OK, having no pictures would be better for people with slower connections, but you can't always aim for the lowest common denominator. Its nice to see the pictures on the pages - they brighten things up and I think there should be more of them, especially more animated ones, perhaps flash, etc.

I think possibly, maybe raise the eligibility for ability to have an avitar.... well maybe that wouldn't work and it would go against this 'post count' hatrid that seemes to be a new trend.
I actually like the avitar thing, losing it I just can't justify any good that would come out it.

No, we are not talking of the avatars... those are staying for sure, I was talking of the images used in signatures...

BTW, I forgot to add to my previous post that if we lose images in the signature field we could double avatar's size, up to 60x60 or something like that.

I think they should only be allowed to be a certain size, because many people have used signatures with images that are just very large. It fills up the screen especially on person(s) monitors with resolutions lower than 1024x768, and in cases of really large signatures it is an extreme eyesore, not to mention very annoying for someone to have a huge signature.

Phant's signature image should be about as large as they are allowed to get I think. Anything larger is too much.

So yea I like the idea of making the sig's smaller, but they can be a good option to have so I wouldnt vote to eliminate them entirely.

The main concern I have is that this forum has been one of the only forums I know of with mature members where anything less than being mature is frowned upon. In other forums such as www.rage3d.com or www.deviantart.com stupidity runs more rampant than anything I have ever seen in my life. It is also allowed to happen, problems are allowed to continue, people are not banned for being immature or at least punished. The really sad thing is in these forums I've noticed that the ones that are the worst at being immature, when someone complains about it, the other immature members take up for them -- and so do the older members.. so this kind of thing goes entirely unchecked and isnt frowned upon but actually encouraged.

If this forum ever comes to this kind of stupidity that I've seen in other forums I will easily leave in a second's notice to never return and I'm sure so will others.

So, lets keep things going the way they are and not allow this to happen.

Originally posted by TS | Julio
No, we are not talking of the avatars... those are staying for sure, I was talking of the images used in signatures...

BTW, I forgot to add to my previous post that if we lose images in the signature field we could double avatar's size, up to 60x60 or something like that.

That's interesting....

Could I use a .jpg or animated .gif in there??

A larger avatar would be most welcome, and same goes for a limit on sig size as many are too large and take up far to much screen space. The post directly above this is twice the size of the content simply due to the sig. Having a larger avatar would not increase the post length in such a dramatic fashion, and reduce the need for so much scrolling. I'm up for that.

Animated avatars would be fine, as long as they are not all FLASHY!!, if you know what I mean.

I'd like to see a limit on how large the signature could be...
That includes pictures and text...
I find it quite annoying when the comment from the person is less than half of the size of the persons signature....

The only problem would be proper formatting if you wanted a big picture (in height), and text... (But then again, you could allways take a screengrab of it from Word and use that pic....)

When it comes to pictures, I think there should be a limit of both how big a picture can be in pixels and in kb's...

IMO, there are two posts in this thread, which easily could have had half as much in their signatures without loosing out on what they wanted to say...

But then again, I tend to like a more simplistic look...

I won't ask for no pictures in the signatures, as that would be taking away part of our users freedom, but limiting the size they have to use will give us a cleaner look (which would go nicely with the new changes)...

I've actually been on the verge of raising this question a couple of times in the past, when I've seen posts with huge images, though I've refrained from saying anything until now...

I think having a very large signature detracts from the rest of the post, as it clutters up the forum with unneccesary text/pictures...
This is not to say that signatures as a whole is a bad thing, only that I think implementing limits to what is allowed will increase the look and quality of the forum.

For some people it almost looks like they think that having a large signature is a way to compensate for being shorter in other places ;) :D

Kinda reminds me of Poertners "You are not your postcount".....

[size=1]Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm a bit tired after 5 days with an average of less than 5 hours of sleep, and a lot of work... [/size]

Oh, and maybe a rule against banners for online games...

If you really want them to join your army, do it by a text link... Let's keep the adverts to what the site needs, and leave it at that...

That brings me to a suggestion on how large the signatures can be...
Take the size of the advert on the top of this page and add 5 lines... That way people should be able to have the images they want (though maybe a tad reduced) and some text, without being too large...

Julio> Just wondering, where do you stand on us having the same adverticing in our signatures as you've got on this page? (With the same code you use on these pages, so any income will go to techspot?) Or just a textlink like (I think it was arris used to have) "Please support this site" linking to an advertcier?

The images are the spice of the forum! Of course, it leaves open a certain vunerability to offensive content and slow page loading.

It is also to have to scroll down 2 pages to get past someone's signature. ;)

A script to resize images would help and sure one exists... The bandwidth itself shouldn't be much of an issue as text loads before images in virtually all browsers.

Hey guys come on :)

it's been 2 months since i disabled the display of avatars and signatures in my personal preferences and it's way more easy to read the forum !

no more 2 lines comments and 1 screen sigs or stuff, no more flashing banners and pix. clean and neat

so leave it like it is, those who don't like that can just not display them

Could you have an avatar with the same width in pixels as the left hand column? Most of mine haven't been much bigger than that.

I've turned signatures off completely, so they will neither take any space on screen nor slow down loading times. I don't really like big avatars either, 100x75 could be the maximum if you ask me.

It would be nice if I could have a picture just a little smaller than now, and space for a signature, but we keep it in the left hand column area. The picture there was a limited size, say a square about the width of the left hand column on all sides.

I'd like to be able to insert text there, so that its still like a signature but its in the left hand column.

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
Julio> Just wondering, where do you stand on us having the same adverticing in our signatures as you've got on this page? (With the same code you use on these pages, so any income will go to techspot?) Or just a textlink like (I think it was arris used to have) "Please support this site" linking to an advertcier?

I remember a couple of you guys doing it and it was nice at the time but I believe current members are familiarized enough with our long-run sponsors like Crucial. Then of course what you could do to help, having for example AZZO or Crucial that are very reputable companies (and you may have done business with), use word of mouth in the boards for new members, etc. asking for what parts or where to buy.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Could you have an avatar with the same width in pixels as the left hand column? Most of mine haven't been much bigger than that.

No, actually avatars I'd prefer to keep pretty simple, I would say something along the lines of a 65x65 pic would be the maximum size that I'd allow.

So something like this would be ideal:-

s_darth.gif

Could I still be able to enter some text under the avatar?

I believe that would be fine, yes.

Don't misunderstand me on the signature thing though, the sigs would stay so you can have any phrases, quotes, links, your name, etc. added there... what we are discussing is only to remove images from the signatures...

Yes, I think that's a good plan. Its good to have that area for the signature so that people can put phrases, or URLs, but the only graphic could be in the avatar on the left hand column.

I've now modified my settings in accordance with your proposed spec.... what do you think?

I would like to be able to have a bigger avatar - the current one is 50 x 55, I think you proposed 65 x 65 but I would like 80 x 80 if possible.

I've already noticed that this looks considerably better - that big picture in my sig was pretty ugly, sorry.

Back