dunnboy78

My system is:
WIndows XP home edition
AMD athlon 1.67
256 RAM
100 Gig Hard disk - 1 = 40Gig - 5200 RPM
1 = 60Gig - 7200 RPM

Graphics card - Geforce 440 MMX - 64 Mb

The problem is that my system is running really slowly. I have tried lots but nothing seems to work.

Looking at the Task manager nothing seems to be hogging resources.

I have given the drives a good clean and defrag.
i have followed numerous guides which helped me clean up my computer in general such as disabling unnecessary services on startup and running in general using Msconfig and the services.msc.
In addition to this i purchased a program caled system mechanic which helped clean the registry amoungst other things.

My system still seems to be running slowly and some folders often when running end up not responding and having ot be shut down.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happenning or even better some ideas on how to overcome this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

was it running slowly before you disabled "unecessary" services?
also have you got the latest drivers for your mobo?

there is a freeware tool that will help keep your registry clean it is called JV16 powertools.

I have system mechanic and use it for various things but you are better off NOT using the registry cleaner in it. I had numerous problems when I did as system mechanic would remove registry entries that should not be removed.

it really sounds like it might be a problem with the file structure if so then a reformat and reinstall may be your best option.

hi yes it was running slowly before i disabled unnecessary services thats why i did it. Not sure what mobo is please explain.

thanks for the tip on the freeware will look into that cheers.

you are weak

in memory and video............. go to tweakxp.com for a plethora of speed ups to your system.......check your bios to see if everything is dialed in right :grinthumb and, two different speed hard drives may be keeping you at the 5200 speed, regardless of the faster 7200 drive

memory and video tweaking

I have already tweaked my video card settings which worked well. I followed a guide for this, cant remember where it was but it seemed pretty comprehensive.

As for the memory i have already altered the paging file to make it 1.5 times the memory in my computer and changed the maximum and minimum to the same size as i am told that this helps with performance.

What do u think now m8

Help is appreciated

Try uninstalling Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493. That fix can slow some systems down to a crawl.

nic

i think his drives' the bottleneck, as it will only run as fast as his slowest component...... but, regarding the hotfix.............what will it do or not do for me if i delete it........have system restore active so i'm not really concerned, just wondering what are the implications?............

JSR, I downoaded that HotFix the day it came out, and it did slow my computer to a crawl as Nic said. I think it can be uninstalled, but I just did the system restore like you said, and had no more problems. There have been several updates to the HotFix since it came out and it now works okay for me, at least I should say it doesn't slow things down anymore.

Uninstall the hotfix through Add/Remove Programs. It only slows some PCs down, not all, so if you have problems its always worth trying to uninstall it and see if your situation improves.

JSR: When he said his system was running slowly, I am assuming that he means it is running much slower than normal (and not that his system is inherently slow) therefore it would not be a hardware issue in this case.

It's a security fix. Read more detail about the problems it inccurred after release here. But, IF, you have the HotFix and you downloaded it early after release, uninstall and reinstall now, it's fixed now, at least on my computer.
Whilst the Q811493 patch does offer protection for your system, in the face of a known vulnerability. There is no point installing it to have a more secure system and then not be able to use it. Therefore this is one Systems Administrator that will NOT be installing it on his network until Microsoft have fixed the problem.

Q811493 was not deemed a "Critical" patch on its release by Microsoft, as any potential attacker would have to have "local access" to your local machine. So having good controls over who can access your machines will limit any threat this vulnerability may pose to the Windows XP operating system.

It worked!!!!!!!! Yahoooooo!!!

I deleted the hot fix and it worked.

Thanks for everyones help. It is appreciated.

boy

good call nic..........i deleted it and..........nothing.........but, as the ole one suggested, not an everyone issue :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back