Using unzip facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Yes, the old guy's back, & with another cry for help.
Everyone tells me how EASY it is to unzip a programme, afraid I'm not finding it so!
D/loaded a file from a site, & it gave me the icon.
can someone give me the ***** guide [no comment!] & take me through the procedure please, like;- 1,2,3,4, etc.
I have Winzip [Evaluation version] also Enzip. Since d/loading Enzip, it has marked the file icon & one other, with a "Z", there is also an icon that looks like a pile of books [no Z] & a "folder" icon of my file, [hope you understand my descriptions]
From all this, would someone help me, using the simplest terms, it will set me up for all future unzipping.
I have done so well, in the year since I started using my computer, the main blot on the landscape at the moment is the decompressing procedure, HELLLLPPP!!

Edited by Poertner_1274: Watch what you are asking here please. I took care of it, let's just leave it as a file :)

Personally I prefer WinRar, but Winzip is not that difficult to use either. When you install it, you will be given an option to add extensions to the right click menu, choose yes. Once it is installed, you can right click on a zipped file and you will get a couple of unzipping options. For new users I recommend using the "extract to filename/", where "filename" is the name of the zipped file.

Thanks Stormbringer, but you have to imagine that you are helping Homer Simpson [DOH!!] that's why I wanted a progressive list of instructions; do this first, then do this, then.........etc., that I can pin up somewhere for future use, but thanks for trying, mate

ok, maybe I can try a little different then. The pile of books sounds like a rar file, if you right click on it, does it give you extract options? If so, extract it as I mentioned before.

To attempt to recap(pardon me if I am no good at explaining things)
1. install the zip utility, if given the option, choose to install the context extensions for right clicking. If not given the option, or you missed it, look in the options in the utility's menus, you will likely find it there
2. locate the zipped file and right click on it,
3. choose extract to filename/
There should now be a folder by that name created that contains the files that were packed in the archive(the zipped file)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back