Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones

Hey,

Ok, I just upgraded my computer:
ASUS A7N8X DELUXE
ATHLON BARTON 2500+
2X256 PC3200 DDR

After installing the new hardware, I now receive a floppy disk error (40) on boot up. I have read several posts from various sites and have tried switching the cables, and such, to no success. I have even tried disconnecting the floppy cable from the mobo end completely, and it still comes up with the error. It then gives me the option to enter setup or continue. If I continue, it goes through a series of tests and then finally comes up with the error "Remove disk and other media". Once again I have checked cables, disconnected everything except the hdd, and still everything is the same. I receive both the floppy drive and the remove media errors.

Now, the floppy disk is a new error after the upgrade, but the "Remove disk and other media" was a problem before the upgrade and actually prompted the upgrade, because after figuring it was a hdd problem to begin with I reformatted once(and several times since) and reinstalled Windows XP Pro. After seeing no change after the multiple formats, I then assumed it must be the mobo...so the reason for the upgrade(It was coming soon anyway).

Could the "Remove disk and other media" error stay even after formatting? Could it be physical damage to the hdd? Oh yeah, when I put the hard drive in a friends computer it boots up in Windows XP Pro just fine. That is why I figured it to be the mobo in the end. But, how could it happen that I am having the same problems with this new motherboard!?! Just bad luck!? Has anyone else seen this problem??:confused:

ANY help would be awesome,

Thanks in advance,

Jones

Check your bios settings for your floppy, and make sure that they match how you have connected your floppy drive (enable floppy a: and disable floppy b: if you have one floopy drive and it is connected to the end connector of your floppy cable (i.e. where floppy a: should connect).

Are you leaving a floppy or cd in the drives before you reboot?
It could be the floppy controler on the mobo or floppy thats bad, try another floppy drive.
No damage to HD from that error "Remove disk and other media"
Does the floppy read/write ok?

Thanks for the help, but nothing seems to work. The only way to get past it is if I go into the bios and set it as having no floppy drive. You would think that disconnecting from the motherboard end would solve the issue, but no. I haven't had a chance to try another floppy drive yet, maybe tomorrow. Even when I set to no floppy drive, it is the DAMN "Remove disk and other media" error that really bugs me, there are no disks in any drive, and even when I disconnect the cables from the mobo, only leaving the hdd, it still says the same thing, grrrr. I do not understand this, pulling my hair out, I do not want to pay $60/hour to have someone take 10 hours to fix it. Spent all that money on the upgrade and I haven't even been able to get past start up. URGH!:mad: And that's apart from my fan problem that I just posted. ANY MORE HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! SOMEONE, PLEASE!

Jones:confused:

Worth a try, look at the pins on the mobo for floppy and back of floppy and see if any are bent or missing.

Is the cable attached correctly? It is probably keyed so it only fits one way, if it isn't, make sure it is not connected upside down.

Yeah, it is keyed so that it can only go in one way, so that isn't the problem. Hopefully I can find a floppy drive tomorrow to try that next. I will likely buy one, they are cheap anyway and my other one is a bit old, that may be the problem in it self.

Jones

New floppy fixed the floppy error, Remove media and other disks error cleared up all of a sudden after the 5th reformat and reinstall. Hmmm, oh well, wish I had some cool way of saying I figured it out, but nope.

Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back