8X/4X Backward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheezHead

I have read several threads about Vidio problems. most of them are legit driver issues. But a couple are pointing twards "Backward Compatibility". If you have an older MOBO with an AGP port,,chances are its only a 2X/4X slot. When you spend the money for a Ground Pounding Grafics card its most likely a 8X AGP card. If the card Isn't "Backward Compatible" to 4X,,It Isn't gonna work. All You Gamer Newbies just keep that in mind and your Blood Presure will remain stable.

Good luck and FPS to ya.
If it isn't cool,,It aint cool.

I was under the impression most if not all graphics cards are backwards compatible???

Most companies (apple being a major expection) don't like to dump anyone thats not uptodate.

but hey, I could very well be completly wrong :)

Good points guys, just to add one more fact for people that are looking to upgrade and are non-gamers. A few motherboards on the market now (gigabyte I know for sure) when using an 8x agp port do not support any 2x agp cards Wich causes a problem for some guys looking to use their old agp cards. The sytem will not start and causes a headach due to the fact it is not stated very well in the mobo manuals.

This is my 3rd time reading it and I still don't understand what exactly the point of this thread is or what you're asking. Are you wondering if we have system boards\video cards that don't support 4x AGP? Are you just saying that some don't? :confused:

I,m Just Stating that if your MOBO is 2X/4X, In my travels especialy with nVidia grafic cards with 128/256meg of ram 8X drivers, need 8X slot capibilities. Yes most Grafic boards have the Technoligy to change AGP Voltage. Making them Backward compatible. To sum it up if the Vidieo card doesn't provide 4X Bus speed and Voltage, your 8X card and drivers will make a mess of things.
If I'm wrong correct me,,I'm not too proud to learn.

I'm not sure about nVidia cards, you may be right there. ATI, other then the problem listed by Jim Shadey are fine.

You did make an excellent point about the voltage! That could be a major issue if your upgrading to a new card, as most new cards need extra voltage usually supplied directly from the PSU. With how fast these cards are getting if your upgrading something like a Compaq that had just enough juice in the first place a new graphics card or really many upgrades could sound the death nell.

AGP 3.0 spec says it is compatible with AGP 2.0. An AGP 8x motherboard must support AGP 4x video cards and an AGP 8x vid card must suppot AGP 4x motherboards.

If anyone makes a part supporting only 8x or not working at 4x then it is non standard. Also, the spec allows univrsal devices that support all speeds. So if you can't find a compatible mobo/vid card, blame the manufacturers, not the standard.

http://www.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/Spec_1_0_final_Sep10.pdf
See page 39

Good Point Bob, First upgrade for anyone buying a dell should be to have it taken into a pc shop (doubtfully anyone that is buying a dell in the first place should ever remove the side panal) and have the hardware thrown in a decent case with a good PSU

I think, as a general rule of thumb though.

If your card fits in the slot, there's a good chance it'll work, now, i'm not being stupid in saying that, you try plug an AGP 2x card into an 8x or 4x slot and you'll more than likely find the connectors won't go in.

They're made differently

Originally posted by Greeno
If your card fits in the slot, there's a good chance it'll work, now, i'm not being stupid in saying that, you try plug an AGP 2x card into an 8x or 4x slot and you'll more than likely find the connectors won't go in.

They're made differently

True. I've modified two of my old AGP cards so that they fit into 4x AGP slot, and they work in it too (one Savage4 card and one Nvidia Riva TNT). I just cutted the part off that prevented them from fitting ;)

In addition to replies already done, there are also AGP Pro cards that won't work with ordinary AGP slots, as their connectors are different too, and they require more power from the AGP slot. They're mostly aimed at professional use though.

Hp 9680c has AGP 2X compatable..

I have HP 9680C system with AGP 2X, I am looking for pc to tv out card.. So which one I have to go for.. I saw all AGP cards are 8X compatiable.. so is there any way to upgrade my system..

Thanks,

fau13 said:
I have HP 9680C system with AGP 2X, I am looking for pc to tv out card.. So which one I have to go for.. I saw all AGP cards are 8X compatiable.. so is there any way to upgrade my system..

Thanks,

Your motherboard doesn't support 4x or 8x cards, so unless you find a card for 2x you won't be able to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back