How to run two routers in series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been messing around trying to have two routers run in series. I have a Wireless-G Linksys and a Wired Network Anywhere Linksys router. Can anyone help me out. Please explain as simple as you can.

By default Linksys routers are (IP) 192.168.1.1 (within the setup page of your Router)

But you can't have two same IP addresses, so therefore you must change one of the Linksys routers to 192.168.1.2 (lets say)

Both routers are also probably set up as DHCP, but to make this work only the Router connected to the Internet line should have DHCP enabled

Therefore the Router connected to the computer should have DHCP disabled

Once the two IP are confirmed different
And once DHCP is enabled Only at the Internet end

Then it's just a matter of connecting the ethernet cables up, and testing online.

Besides what kimsland said, the wired router my have an "uplink" port. This port is used to link 2 routers together

No, this is not the port that you should use to link routers (unless you have a good reason to or you just like to do things the hard way).

Like Nodsu says, there's any easy way and the "offical" (ie hard) way.

Connecting router-1 to router-2 using lan ports on both ends is the Easy way
for several reasons. The only issue to to be sure router-2 has DHCP disabled :)

You can have 3 in series also what I do here..

1- DHCP enabled wired
2- DHCP disabled (wireless access point bridge)
3- DHCP disabled (wireless access point bridge)

just keep daisy chaining them using LAN-LAN connections.

you're only exposed to the robustness of router-1 :)

Two Routers, sort of similiar w/a twist

Hi, I am not sure what i am missing, but here it is. I have a linksys wireless g router already. I would like to add a new linksys wireless N router to my network. I want only 1 pc to use via wireless the new N router (it is my entertainment server into my home theatre). All the rest of the pcs and wii in the house can continue to connect to the wireless G router. My G router IP 192.168.10.1 (has to be this way for work's VPN). So is it best to use static on the N pc, can I use static ips w/wireless? I am thinking the process out first before changing everything....thank you in advance. PS-the reason if not clear I am using the N router only for the entertainment pc is because i want the fastest, cleanest, best connection for streaming video/audio, DVR, etc....

VPNs will frequently alter the routing to as to inhibit access except thru the VPN itself.

in this discussion on routers and switches, at the bottom are two ways to add a second router,
so that your system (eg system#5) might have a VPN and not impact the other systems.

If you don't need five ip addresses, then you will not need the switch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back