Dual Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnym

Can anyone help me out with my problem I have got 2 monitors hooked up to my graphics card atm (Geforce 6200 AGP 256mb) I have 1 vga monitor plugged into the vga plug and i have a dvi-vga converter plugged into the other slot with another vga monitor in it.

My main monitor works the one i have always been using but on everthing in display properties it says the other monitor is there and working so i can cgange the setting on it but the other monitor is just in power saving mode.

Do i need to download drivers or software from somewere and if i do do you know were i can download it from?

Thanks i hope i havent wated my money and this thing will eventually work

For starters, please indicate

1. the make/model of your computer
2. What Version of Windows you are running and your Service Pack (SP) level installed
3. You need be more specific on exactly what you are inputting and/or see in Display Properties. I assume under the Settings tab. such as
  • the monitor 1 and 2 icon arrangement
  • what option is chosen within the Display: pull down menu
  • have you tried the troubleshooting button to walk you through issues?
  • What is the name of the window that pops-up when you click the Advanced button? Have you changed any settings in there?

Also note all the help here is done by people volunteering their time (and their advice) so you need be patient as replies can take awhile till the right people with experience in your problem area happen to come on-line and come across your thread.

AMD Athlon 3000+
1gb Ram
Geforce 6600
Abit AV-8 3-rd eye

I'm Running Windows XP SP2

This is whats in the display drop down :

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q346/jjmather88/untitled.jpg

My primary monitor is the only one that is working the second monitor is just blank its in power saving mode. I swapped the monitors round and the second monitor works fine as the primary so its not a problem with the monitor. Yes i did all rteh trouble shoooting available and got to the point were it says troubleshooter cannot solve your problem.

This is what opens when i click advanced:

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q346/jjmather88/untitled2.jpg

I just noticed looking at those images you can see 2 screens but thats not what i can see. I can only see the primary monitor. Is it not working because i have a 17" Widescreen monitor and a standard 15" one? could that be the problem?

i'm just about to run out for several hours but wanted to at least give a quick reply (sorry no time to look into your problem further now. I can check your thread when i return tho someone else may pick up where i left off. Well check your thread in any case)

1. Have you tried adjusted the settings under the Geoforce window? (window you get when clicking Advanced. Look closely at General, adapter and Monitor tabs, i'd guess) This window is where your Geoforce video card is configured

2. Find your video card in Device Manager and look at driver details to see what version driver you are running. Go to the Geoforce website to find the latest driver for the video card to see if up to date.

3. Your problem of dual monitors (with one monitor remaining in power save mode) rings a strong memory of the exact same problem reported by someone else within the last 6-7 months (i recall reading the problem, but not their solution/resolution). You might try the Search function for TechSpot forums to see if you can find that thread and see how it might apply to your case.

4. When all else fails, have you looked the Geoforce documentation on how to set it up for use in dual monitor mode? ;)

5. I don't thing you being in SP2 vs SP3 should make any difference (but note you should upgrade to SP3 sometime)

Just tried to do all that I cant seem to find the other thread that had a similar problem. Iv checked in general at all the settings they all seem to be fine and say the monitor is working and when i do the print screen you can see the other monitor can't you.

I cant find my documentation for the graphics card though i think i must have thrown the box out and i cant find any manuals or anything like that on the net it sucks, you think thered be an online manual or something.

All drivers are up to date aswell i just have no idea what it could be and im usually quite good at trouble shooting. Ay other idea's guys?

not home to look into your problem but a couple comments

1. Always go the mfr web site and find the link for Support when looking for documentation, drivers, manuals, etc. Use this link

2. Find the manuals (you might look at FAQ and knowledge base also) for your video card. But start by looking in online manual and make sure you've enabled BOTH video ports on the card (look in index or use the search function - click binoculars icon if .pdf format - and search for dual, for example)

cannot find a manual or anything that can help me and its still not working. Do the monitors have to be the same size and resolution? This is starting to annoy me now theres no reason for it not to be working lol

I have looked around on the net for ages now and i can't find anything that relkates to my problem at all. I have make a thread on the nvidia forums about it aswell hopefull ill get some help from someone that works for them haha.

I don't know how to check if both ports are enabled because i can't find any documentation about it anywere its quite annoying. But both ports must be enabled if the computer thinks that the monitor is getting the signal right?

I see nVidia doesn't make it as clear as some other sites where to find documentation but (when in doubt) try hunting through sections labeled "Drivers" or "Drivers and Downloads"

Which (based on my understanding of your Geoforce card) takes me here. But before going further
  • Confirm for yourself this is the right driver for your video card. (Start at Support -> Drivers -> and enter info on your video card model)
  • Assuming this IS the right driver, are you certain you have the latest version (i.e. this version) installed. I ask as the release date is just 9 days ago, July 9, 2008. So unless it was installed within the last several days, not sure how it could be more recent or what you did to reach your conclusion.
  • nVidia provides a link to the New Control Panel's guide which is what you want to look through. For example, i see a section on Using Display Category Pages which touches on dual monitor settings (may still be more info elsewhere in the guide)

/***** Edit *******/
btw... On the web page where you enter your nvidia geoforce hardware info to find drivers (Option 1) they also offer a "Prerelease version" of a tool they offer to automatically allow them to find your divers (Option 2). Try both options. Let's see if those 2 also match what i think is right for you. (Want to be more certain that you think it's right as well)

Usually, you use Either the VGA or the DVI, but not both.
On a recent install, we used the DVI connection an a Y-cable (labeled #1 and #2)
to support dual monitors. The #1 connector goes to the main.

Im downloading that driver now but I am working in 20 mins so ill have to try n do everything else 2nite when i get in. Ill let you no how i go on cheers mate ;)

hmmmmm.......

on the occasions when i've run dual monitor i think i've always been using the 2 ports (one monitor per port), one VGA and one DVI.

To check i just dug an old VGA monitor out of storage and that's how i'm configured and running now (one VGA and one DVI monitor plugged into the 1DVI and 1VGA ports)
1. Should be a function of what your video card supports (so, again, is best to check that documentation when all else fails and the intuitive solution doesn't seem to work)
2. just fyi, in my case for my adapter, i can open Display -> Settings and click on that 2nd monitor to move it and the adapter prompted with "Monitor not enabled. Would you like to enable it?"
  • So you might try just clicking on the second monitor icon (with "2" in it) as well to see if you're also prompted when using the new driver.
  • You can also try clicking on it (to select it) then right-click to see Properties and/or other options presented in the context menu that will appear
  • If after all else fails and the display still doesn't respond, try restarting your computer (after your Display Settings changes) and see if it that might also help to get it working (and see if your changes are still in effect

/****** Edit ********/
Hmmmmmm... #2

My apologies but i just re-read an earlier post of yours and i missed something.

Would appear you did a Print Screen and windows copied to screen images to the clip board which you then pasted into the pic you attached. The difference in your 2 screen sized shouldn't make any difference. But go ahead and try the new driver and my points a
bove and let me know. Sorry overlooked that in your post earlier

my card said EXPLICITLY not to do that. Split the VGA or DVI but not both at the same time.

as they say; RTFM :)

i wish there were an acronym AFM (for abso-***-lutley) but couldn't agree more.

Two further notes, a quick look at the Geoforce 6200 says it supports nView Multi-Display Technology ("The nView hardware and software technology combination delivers maximum flexibility for multi-display options, and provides unprecedented end-user control of the desktop experience")

But i also see from a quick Google search several people complaining about its driver support for Dual Monitor mode so, hopefully, the new driver they just released July 9 fixes the problems (hopefully) but check the documentation for its recommendations in any case!

I would RTFM if i could find it i dont remember throwing it out but i dont have it anymore lol. Tried everything installing the new driver playing with properties and restarting still no progress. I can actally drag stuff other to the monitor but, obviously i can't see them i dragged a folder over and print screened it.

http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=24903719ru6.jpg

Dyu reckon it could be something as simple as the adapter not working? I wish i could test it but i dont have any way of testing it atm. Mite just buy another one and see if it makes a difference but i don't just wana waste money.

It's winding me up because as far as the computer knows it's working it's just annoying seeing 'Power Saving Mode' all the time' grrrr :mad:

sorry made a mistake i have the Geforce 6200. That shouldnt change anyting much though its dual monitor compatible

sorry made a mistake i have the Geforce 6200

Now i'm confused... :confused:

That's what i thought you had? Or you have something else?

In any event, don't recall if you did any of these tests before or not but good to try the following test cases
  1. Try swapping monitors only (keep the cables as is). Does the problem move with the monitor or stay with the port/cable combination?
  2. Try the same where only moving cables
  3. I just skimmed your first post again and one could also suspect that DVI-to-VGA converter you're using whether it is bad or whether it just works with the video card (regardless of whether converter or video card is at fault why not if not). Have a friend or anwhere to borrow or hookup up a DVI monitor directly to the port?

I origonally said i had a 6200 but then i said i had the 6600 lol I get confused between the 2.

Any monitor plugged into the dvi port gets no signal so its either the port or the adapter but i don't know anyone who has a dvi monitor i had never seen a dvi connection until the other day so it'll be hard for me to get hold of one. im going to the trafford centre 2day so ill see if i can see any adapters in there and maybe see if they'll let me test it haha

here's some more info, hope it helps. Unless i missed it, nvidia website only offers two (lacking) documents for the video card
However, I did find some additional and useful info using their FAQs and Knowledgebase. Here’s just a couple. You might want to look as well. (I used “dual monitor” for search terms)

Your not gonna believe this but i went out 2day to buy a new adapter because i thought that may have been the problem. Plugged it in restarted and TA-DA! It works. After all that thats all it was. Thanks for all your help though guys now i just have to figure out how to make things open automatically on the other screen lol

Didn't replace the video card I am till using the 6200. I just bought a new DVI - VGA adapter. Duel screens are fun :D

Thanks for all your help though I appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back