Should I remove IE from my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a computer whiz but I know a problem when I see it. The other day I was invaded by IE Antivirus 3.2. After reading about the steps needed to purge my system of it, and Spyhunter, I spent a day getting rid them, hopefuly forever. Now, something called Kooly Noody keeps popping up. IE just seems to be prone to problems!

My son, who is a Mac user, says I should use Firefox, which I have installed and use, and blow off IE, completely. (I am running Widows XP on my computer which is not a Mac.) What are your thoughts on this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

IE is integrated into windows and is necessary for many programs to even install... You do not want to remove it.

You DO want to avoid using it though. Definitely use Firefox, Opera or Safari for Windows, if you're familiar with Mac.

It might be a good idea to run a spyware scanner like www.spybot.net too, if you haven't already.

I think this online scanner is pretty good. Although the only time I used it I came up clean, which I should be, but who knows. Anyway the company behind it is supposed to have a very good client side scanner, so their online scan probably works just as well.

You'll still need IE to use Windows Update for critical security updates for Windows. Firefox won't work for that.

Safer browsing with "No Script"

If you start using FF as your primary browser, you should also investigate installing "No Script", which is a browser add-on designed to prevent websites from running Java script without your permission.

It kills much flash advertising and prevents third party tracking cookies from being installed. You can find it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

I think this online scanner is pretty good. Although the only time I used it I came up clean, which I should be, but who knows. Anyway the company behind it is supposed to have a very good client side scanner, so their online scan probably works just as well.

Nod32 I going up in rating it is very good AV also if you think you are infected click on the red text in my sig and follow the guide then post back with a link to the new thread and I can help you remove anything in your PC

You DO want to avoid using it though.
Why?

Internet Explorer is the most used and common browser in the world
If you are just stating your personal thoughts, oh ok!

My personal thoughts is to keep using it, seeming it's excellent.

Thank you all for your replies....

I am going to keep IE and use FF, whenever possible. I have already installed No Script. I also use Spy Bot, Windows Defender and CA Anti-Spy. Now if only I could get rid of Kooly Noody, forever.

Along those same lines, when I want to send a link in FF mail (I use Yahoo mail), I am automatically switched to IE mail. How can I stop that?

Open Firefox
Select TOOLS
Select OPTIONS
in the MAIN tab
TICK "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser at startup"
OK
Close Firefox
Re-Open Firefox

Answer YES to keep as default

(Note it can be confusing if you are going to switch browsers a lot)

--

Kooly Noody
You may need to reset IE settings:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

My personal thoughts is to keep using it, seeming it's excellent.

That's fine, but I'm not really sharing my opinion. I'm sure my suggestion also includes personal bias, but I can certainly back it up.

IE is and has been consistently less safe. What's worse is - for whatever reason - many of my clients (pretty average people) refuse to or just don't update IE6. So, at the very least, make sure you have 7.0 if you're going to use it. I consider IE7 an OK browser, but that really comes to the individual using it.

There is plenty of info out there, but I'll point some things out. There are a number of reasons it is less secure, but the fact it is bundled with Windows, has a huge market share and has a bad rep makes it a primary target. That alone is enough reason to consider using another browser. All the notifications and warnings in the world don't seem to save Joe Sixpack, and that's IE's solution to security issues.

Other reasons include slow updates, exploitable system integration, especially through Active X and Active scripting... And yes, you can make it more secure by changing the default settings, trusted zones, using addons etc.. But why the effort? And your average Joe hasn't a clue about these things anyway.

IE doesn't even (seem to) offer a great online experience compared to other browsers. Opera has WAY more features (maybe too many :D). Even Firefox does more out of the box (spellcheck, restore closed tabs, save windows session, the 'awesome bar'... just to name a few useful things) and that doesn't include the huge number of useful add-ons you can download.

Given that IE7 is slower, less secure and has fewer features and add-ons and doesn't even do a great job adhering to basic web standards, I think it is even difficult to argue that IE7 is a better browser... even on an opinion basis. But I'm all for personal preference and if you prefer IE, that's more than okay. It is what it is and different people like different things.

And it is quite fine if lawman6851 wants to use IE as long as sticks with IE7 and maintains 'good' browsing habits.

Vulnerability reports:
FF3 currently has 0 unpatched advisories
IE7 current has 10 open advisories (Status: moderately critical)

Phishing filter: Firefox > IE7
http://www.mozilla.org/security/phishing-test.html

Firefox Sports More Bugs, But IE Takes 9 Times Longer To Patch
http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/193005335

Microsoft admits IE7 will fail standards test
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/softwa...l-standards-test/0,130061733,139205193,00.htm

Web Browser Vulnerabilities Calendar (IE loses here)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/technology/interactives/browsers/

New FF3 features:
http://people.mozilla.com/~beltzner/overview-of-firefox3.swf

Attackers ramp up zero-day ActiveX exploits
http://www.scmagazineus.com/Attackers-ramp-up-zero-day-ActiveX-exploits/article/113345/

I could post things all day.. But I'll let you decide whether or not it is an opinion.

You guys are the best!

I have made FF my default browser, as suggested. I have also loaded additional tools to prevent additional problems, as suggested. I know who to call if there is any. Thanks again.

Microsoft admits IE7 will fail standards test 2005 !
Web Browser Vulnerabilities Calendar (IE loses here) January 2006
Firefox Sports More Bugs, But IE Takes 9 Times Longer To Patch September 25, 2006
Firefox Sports More Bugs, But IE Takes 9 Times Longer To Patch November 14, 2006
is slower, less secure January 2006
adhering to basic web standards August 1, 2005 !
less secure January 2006
slow updates September 25, 2006

Vulnerability reports: This page is good ! (and graphs are easy to follow- thankyou)

But all the rest are Old, and obsolete!

kimsland said:
But all the rest are Old, and obsolete!
Yeah, I agree with you... 2006 is kind of old in computer-terms :(

The 2005 articles still apply though, since IE7 updates have never addressed IE's standards shortcomings (specifically those found on the Acid 2 test). But really, IE renders all the pages I visit pretty well. I'm sure it works just fine for most people. So that just kind of 'icing on the cake' of why making the switch could be construed as a good idea. :)

IE8 is just around the corner though. I'm interested in seeing how well it works.

I have made FF my default browser, as suggested. I have also loaded additional tools to prevent additional problems, as suggested. I know who to call if there is any. Thanks again.
Good luck with Firefox. Don't forget about Opera either, if you don't find FF to your liking. They are both good browsers. Safari is a good option too, if you're used to it on your Mac. I don't like it so much myself, though.

You can't/shouldn't remove Internet Explorer for reasons already stated.

The trick here is to protect yourself and avoid infections. A couple of simple things you can do is use Anti-Virus/Spyware applications and perhaps think about using something like DropMyRights (nonadmin.editme.com/DropMyRights) if you log in as an Admin in Windows.

You could also try SafeSpace; you can find it at majorgeeks.

Re> Kooly Noody...

:rolleyes:

Hello Folks...
I just found this forum whilst searching for info on Kooly Noody...about two days ago, I noticed, when doing Spyware cleanup through my Telus Security here in Canada, that this new spyware, K.N. was there...
I removed it, and then, again, today it showed up again.
I just keep removing it, as I do the others.
I doesn't seem to do much to the computer and I stick with Internet Explorer, all the time.
I have a Dell computer.
Your thots please.
Layna
Vancouver, Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back